Friday, September 10, 2010

wedding finery

         We're going to a family wedding soon. The question always comes up, at least for me: "What will I wear?"
         So I went to a store and looked. I never have enjoyed clothes shopping, and find it harder and harder to find wearable things at stores anymore. Who are these women who can wear such things? But I did see a skirt that "looked like me" and even was on sale. Its colors are black, gray, some sort of grayish-off-white, and a rather pretty crimson/pinkish purple/bordering-on-burgandy. Are you getting the picture with that last color? The coordinating top hanging on the adjoining rack was not me at all. I figured I'd have no problem finding something (preferably other than black) to wear with it. Wrong.
        The pretty crimson/pinkish purple/bordering-on-burgandy should tell you just how hard that was. I cruised one store after another. The colors related to that shade became confusing to my eyes. I would spot the color, go over, and pull the skirt out of my purse where it was crumpled in a bag. If I did find a decent match,  it would undoubtedly be a top with so much spandex that it showed every curve I'd rather hide.
         Or I'd find something wearable but the shade just wasn't right. I looked for a light gray too--but there aren't many semi-dressy tops in gray these days.
         It suddenly occurred to me that I was getting sick of the skirt. I'd looked at it so many times––trying it in on with various tops in dressing rooms all across the city. And besides that, everything seemed to be turning pink to my eyes, like in a bad dream.
        One last store––and I found it. A bit shimmery, but about as good a match as I'd come across. By this time I was lecturing myself about the time I'd wasted looking for something. Feeling yucky about it. I brought it home, tried the whole outfit on, and showed it to the Gardener. There was something in his eyes that made me hesitate, though he said it looked nice (the gracious man knew how hard I'd been trying.)  It was night time and we were both tired, and the lighting wasn't so good. (Note to self: if you worry about getting the lighting right when matching colors, forget what you're trying to match.)
         The next morning, after "sleeping on it" I realized I'd had my fill of the skirt. Sick of the colors, the time wasted, tired of the whole deal. I questioned if I'd wear it enough and didn't want another "wrong choice" hanging in my closet. I've always struggled with clothes ... never knowing if I'm dressed right ... yearning for simpler times ...
       I'm returning it all tomorrow. And going back to the closet. Surely I'll find something there. I'll be the only one noticing or remembering anyway. I really need to stop fussing about such things and make the best of what I have. We'll be bride watching anyway.

16 comments:

  1. Uh, are jeans and denim skirts out? Uh oh! I went through the same thing last year as the mother of the groom (who is supposed to wear brown and keep her mouth shut according to "those in the know"--I didn't do either). I finally found an appropriate dress and wore it again on New Year's Eve (the first time we'd dressed up and gone out in a decade). A friend's son is getting married next September. I'm hoping to wear it again. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to clarify!! I made the opposite transition of south to north and had to learn to dress down a bit in some areas. However, I still wear my Sunday best to church!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. We went to a wedding last weekend and I went through the same thing. I ended up wearing something from my closet and was comfortable enough to just forget what I was wearing - and no one was looking at the guests, anyway, with that gorgeous bride up front!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nuts. That IS frustrating. I have a rule. If I wear something new, I have to wear something old with it...that way I still feel *myself*. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Btw, meant to say that I love your photos as well. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know exactly how you feel...I would rather clean a toilet than try to go clothes shopping. I surely don't want to show all the lumps and bumps I am trying to hide, nor do I want to wear a tent. You will find something in your closet that you missed with your first glance, go to the wedding and have a marvelous time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, ditto on the lovely photos and ditto on WHAT to wear!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't like many of the styles either...And some of fabrics are not the best. I have a pair of dressy black slacks and 3 tops and a jacket. I have had this combination for almost 10 years. I don't know what I will do when they wear out! I'm not quite ready to stay home!!!

    Shop your closet. There are some nifty scarves out there! Have a wonderful time!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:40 PM

    Hahaha...I'm sorry for your frustration, but I can assure you that you are not alone! I am the queen of changing my mind and returning things...drives J CRAZY :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like quite an ordeal! It's always best to listen to that inner voice when it says something's just not right. You're wise to go with something comfortable and familiar. Hope you have an enjoyable weekend!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel just like you and most of the people that commented. Last night I went through my closet looking for something to wear to a memorial today and I'd find a dress and no jacket, or a pair of slacks and no 'just right' top. Should I wear panty hose or not...blah, blah, blah. And then I realized it wasn't about me. I just don't want people to look at ma and cringe...you know, just be dressed appropriately. Make sense? Something old and new sounds good to me. Good luck, Podso!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh girl, I've been out most of the day looking for something to wear to a dinner. I don't have any clothes and don't want any, obviously! Nothing fits anymore. I bought a black sweater with a steel gray shell to go under and a red necklace. NOW, the dinner is tomorrow night and I'm dressed from the waist up! Do you think anyone will notice?

    ReplyDelete
  13. HI,
    Im sure you will look lovely! I hate dressing up, especially after wearing scrubs all day!
    XoXO

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I understand. Especially coming back from Africa, you don't even KNOW what the styles are, let alone if it will look good on you or not. I am taking pictures for my niece's wedding...normally I would wear a dress but I want to be able to get into awkward positions with my camera and still look lady-like so thought pants would be better. But I don't look that good in pants (all those bulges I'm trying to hide!), so I feel like I should go clothes shopping, but I'm dreading it! As somebody said, it's all about the bride, anyway, so as long as we look nice and we feel comfortable......

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I can understand. Last year I had a wedding and it was a black tie Saturday night affair. I was so frustrated that I ended up just going on a diet to lose 10 pounds so that I could wear a dress from the year before and I did not care if some of my friends knew I was wearing last years dress. I now gained the 10 pounds back and hope I do not have another wedding to go to any time soon:-)
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lydia grace2:23 PM

    Who is getting married? You may have told me, but I forgot...:)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...