Saturday, September 25, 2010

a box of letters

Just a few minutes ago--or a few blinks of an eye ago--on a spring evening, at a small college tucked along the Hudson River, the date being May 2, 1968, a lanky basketball player invited me on a date. On that day, two years later, our legs dangling over a cliff overlooking the same river, he asked me to marry him. And on that day this year, so many minutes later, we happened to be in his hometown. 

We were visiting the Gardener's young niece and nephew, who, after losing both parents in recent years, were beginning to clean out the family homestead. The house had been in the family, there along the Delaware River, for several generations. Their mother, the Gardener's sister, was birthed, and 64 years later died, in the same room in this house.

"We got something for ya," they announced as they produced a box crumbling with age. It was full of letters ... letters we forgot we wrote ... letters we hadn't thought of in years ... letters assumed gone to the trash decades ago. There they were. All of mine to the Gardener during our courtship, and some letters from his sister and college friends as well. He actually saved them! What fun the kids had watching my face as we opened letters and read excerpts aloud. Sometimes I wanted to crawl under the couch. A real treasure, good memories––a gift on this the anniversary of when it all began! 

We found a stronger box, packaged them up, overdid it on taping it up, and mailed the box home to ourselves. How should we tiptoe into this bit of history? A letter a day? A long evening of laughing together while reading a bundle aloud? Well ... to be read, or not to be read, or how to be read ... at our leisure. 

First published on May 2, 2008. We're still looking for time to read these letters.  Connecting to Chari's Sunday Favorites today.

18 comments:

  1. How absolutely wonderful. I kept mine for years. However, somewhere along the way, they disappeared. Enjoy the memories.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shortly after my husband and I started dating, he was transferred to California. I remained in D.C.. We wrote lots of letters since phone calls were rather expensive. I wish I'd kept them. What fun it will be to revisit what was going on between you, one letter at a time.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:56 AM

    Such a treasure! Have fun reading them!!!
    Hugs,
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely surprise to have you drop by my blog and leave a comment, I am so glad you did because I have had my own lovely time reading through your adventures. I had a similar experience; my mum had saved (I am sure) EVERY birthday/anniversary card they had ever had - it was very precious reading through their sentiments.
    You must be delighted with your "box of goodies"
    Please pop back again ..... as I will to Podso!
    May you have a blessed Sunday.
    Val xx Oxfordshire UK

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love just looking into that box.
    A history is in there.
    Testimonies to God's goodness, covenants, and promises...and most of all His great Love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awwww...you have to read them! You were different people back then with the same thread running through that led to now. Enjoy!

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this sooo much. DH and I dated for 2 years via letters. He was in the Air Force when we started dating. I have everyone of those letters - 25yrs later next month:)

    Hugs!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  8. How romantic! I hope you find time to enjoy them a second time around... =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What, I would have read every last one of them until I had finished them all.(no will power). What a wonderful treasure to have. My mom saved some pictures of my high school love, that I had thrown away. She gave them back one day. Soooo fun!
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful find!
    I am sorry for the generations to come as they will never have the pleasure of reading a trove of old letters - of visiting their younger selves outside of tasteless Facebook postings.
    A few years ago my sister presented me with all the letters I'd written her from our many military postings throughout the children's younger years. I'd forgotten so many things, so many 'firsts' with little ones. It was such a treat to revisit that time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful surprise keepsake to get! And just a fun treasure to reshare with each other! Wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How sweet to find them again. I hope you savored each one. A true treasure!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is great. Pour a glass of wine and go down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a sweet post! Isn't funny to find old letters...when my in-laws passed away..we found old birthday cards and letters they had saved. What a treasure to have those letters you wrote to your hubbie! Enjoy them..I really enjoyed reading your post!

    Miss Bloomers

    ReplyDelete
  15. I meant to say ..isn't it funny to find old letters!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mornin' Dotsie...

    Ahhh...I think this is awesome, my friend! What a fabulous anniversary gift...to receive back all the letters that you had written to your husband! I also think it's awesome that he kept all those letters...what a sweetheart! That's sooo romantic! Hmmm...maybe you should read them over breakfast? That would be such a fun way to start the day! Well Girlfriend, so glad that you revisited this post today...I loved it! Thanks for sharing it with us this week for Sunday Favorites!

    Warmest autumn wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a treasure! I wish I had letters from my dh, but nary a one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very sweet post. Thanks for sharing. Linda

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...