Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Slivery moon

I had to work all three days of the holiday weekend. Because the moon is a sliver, I knew we would not have many babies born. Indeed it was fairly quiet, and a reasonable, manageable workload. I was able to eat lunch, do my extra work for management, and leave on time, which hasn't happened in a long time. The weather outside the hospital was gor.ge.ous ... a "hint of fall" was in the air with low humidity and cool mornings, but the beauty came inside the hospital walls too. Throughout the weekend I took note of what I consider smiles from God:

1. After caring for a baby for three days, I heard he was named for his dad ... looked at the newly assigned name, looked over at daddy who had looked vaguely familiar to me all weekend ... and realized he was a high school buddy of Eldest Son. Of course he was no longer a gangly teenager, so that's my excuse for not noticing earlier.  He also had thought I was familiar but couldn't figure it out. ... I guess I'm older too.  :-)

2. This same baby had the dental residents come and clip his frenulum (a.k.a. tongue tied). The dental resident graduated from the same dental school where Youngest is a resident, knew who he was, and told me all the dental students tried to get into his clinics as he was a favorite. "You can be very proud of him" she told me.

3. The sweet young woman who did my ultrasound last week told me she'd be having a baby at our hospital. Of all things her maternity unit tour was this weekend and so there I was to greet her. I hope I can care for her baby and give her back some of the sweetness she gave me.

4. And on Labor Day my two favorite docs happened to be rounding--a pediatrician and an OB.  And one brought us donuts. "Eat in good health," he smiled a bit sarcastically. And I didn't.

I've done posts before about these small events that I view as "smiles" from God, and certainly undeserved. But I do notice them. Another way to look at them are "glimpses of grace."

6 comments:

  1. Such a good reminder that there are ALWAYS things to be thankful for if we will just look. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely God-inspired weekend you had. I really enjoy it when He shows me that He is thinking of me personally when these events come together.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hearing about what happened "by the light of the silvery moon!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Podso, Thanks for this lovely post. God is always there and involved, thanks for the reminder to look for Him!
    You are a blessing in my life.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad we happened to check the blog today, I showed Caleb the part about him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like 'glimpses of grace'!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...