Monday, September 22, 2008

A Generous Spirit


"The loving heart, which seeks to offer all, even disappointments and vexations which touch the tenderest places, to God, will be more likely to grow in generosity of spirit than one who bears grudgingly what cannot be averted." (H.L. Sidney Lear)

Sometimes I get disappointed, particularly in people and my expectations or hopes for them. It can be a deeply searing pain, touching the "tenderest of places." I think it partially comes from my personality of being involved with and caring about people. But some of it comes from what I hope they will give to me (not material things, mind you). 

It's an attitude check I have to make all the time. I need to give grace and let go of my hopes, having a generous spirit, always giving the "benefit of the doubt," and realizing I never know a full story. It's a much better, healthier way to live, when I have this right.

"Your portion is to love, to be silent, to suffer, to sacrifice your inclinations, in order to fulfill the will of God.  ...  All we have to do is give ourselves up to God day by day, without looking further. He carries us in his arms as a loving mother carries her child." (Francois de la Mothe Fennelon)



2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:48 AM

    Well said and good wisdom to keep in my mind..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do that too.
    It's hard to let some people go
    at times without going deeper into
    the reasons why......
    In our next book, you will see the
    strong character trait of integrity
    in Juliet. She does exactly what she
    says or doesn't if she said she wouldn't. My second read ( audio this time) has caught that more deeply. A whole island trusts her without even meeting her because of her reputation which they checked on. Maybe that is where you were going?

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...