Tuesday, September 09, 2008

a day that was meant to be


There was a lot going on in our lives yesterday ... and today I was slated to attend eight hours of computer class--learning a whole new system for my job at the hospital. (The ol' brain isn't what it used to be and wasn't great to start with ...)  So I garnered up some prayer from a few friends. In record number they checked their email soon after I wrote and replied that they understood and would be praying for all the things I shared.

"Something" caused me to look over my class schedule before I went to bed last night. I was horrified to realize I had forgotten an eight hour computer class last week. I had actually scratched it off in my calendar book. Totally mystified I phoned work and confirmed I needed to take the classes in order.  So I would not be attending class today. I kept thinking about those friends praying for me in class all day ... which of course did not occur. But I knew those prayers were just as effective for "whatever..."

I offered to work today, knowing we were "slammed" with newborns. I always wonder "why" plans are changed like this ... was there a specific reason why I crossed that class off my calendar? Could God have been in it? (of course, smile broadly.)  On my way to work pre-dawn this morning, at a red light, I was slammed from the rear by a careless driver. My back was already aching and strangely the big bump actually felt kind of good. So the other driver and I pulled over in the dark and assessed the damage. It looked like my rubberized bumper would pull out nicely on our old CRV. But had it been our other car, the damage most likely would have been extensive. So right then and there I thought about those prayers, and how I "happened" to take the CRV.

Throughout the day I kept "looking" for a reason for being there. My manager is a believer and we even talked about God's providence. "Did you figure out why you needed to be here today?" she asked with a big smile on her face. Truly they needed my help they were so busy. But I knew I didn't need to "see" the reason. I have such firm belief in God's providence and am so sure there was a specific reason for the changes in my day's plans. I also know I may never see the reason, but am confident that  life is an inter-working of many things that God is putting together across His world. I'm just glad I could be a part of that today.

3 comments:

  1. I think you will find out . Hope you are ok?!!! Oh my. So early in the morning to be hit. Hope you will be ok?

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:19 PM

    Thanks for this. I'm afraid I'm consistently trying to figure out the why's lately. Haven't succeeded, but still trying. Bless you for making the attempt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely post. I'm a big believer that God is much more active in our everyday lives than he's given credit for. So glad you feel the same way (and I'm also so glad you were ok in the accident).

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...