Wednesday, September 24, 2008

petrol cycles

Driving past W*almart this afternoon I noticed a huge bundle of traffic. Lo and behold--gas lines. Long and barely moving. Of course I thought of the 70s, and it seems like just yesterday I was inching my car forward in a long line. Then a question was, is more gas wasted waiting in line with the engine running, or turning it off and on as one moves forward? I can't remember the answer.

Right now, for the most part, there is no gas on at least this side of our fair city. Which is why, when this particular place had some fuel, the huge line formed instantly. Guess you need to plan on 2-3 hours to put something in your tank.

Not so eldest son, who is driving around on "E." His fiancee, bless her heart, brought him a gas can (what we called "Gerri tins" in Africa), of fuel from a friend. For some reason he had to syphon it in his tank. It came out too fast and he got a face full as well as a mouthful. 

Back in time again, now in Africa.  No fuel there either--we called it petrol. So the Gardener would constantly drive around on "E" in case there would be petrol available somewhere. I think finding some happened once or twice our whole time there. So when I would get in the truck to go somewhere, I'd see the "E" and be nervous about running out of fuel.  It was a sort of conflict between us.

One day I did run out of fuel. That is a story for another time. But I came home and asked for instructions in syphoning petrol (we always kept a supply in a barrel on our property.) I wasn't half bad at it. From then on, this stubborn female would boldly syphon at least a quarter of a tank into our truck before heading out. And I never ran out of fuel again. Gentle Gardener was okay with the way I dealt with my foolish fears (or not so foolish!)

If we live long enough, things sure cycle around, don't they? I told Eldest I knew how to syphon but thankfully he was fine doing it himself. I'm happy never to do it again, and certainly hope I can hold to that.

(not my photo)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...