Monday, April 22, 2013

on pitch

The Gardener leaned over to me and whispered, "Do you realize we're among the younger in the audience?" I looked around me at the mostly white-haired, seasoned and well-dressed people. Many were in my parents' generation or close to it. We were at the funeral of the "America's beloved gospel singer," George Beverly Shea, a close family friend for all the years of my life. It seems as though my parents' generation, the Builder generation, is leaving this earth in droves, many even in these past months.

We made a day of it, driving "to the mountains," as they say in our city when we are headed to the beautiful mountain area of our state. I wanted to be there to honor the man who was such a close friend of my father's. and I am so glad we went. I will not forget the moment they brought in the casket, covered with white roses. His voice rang out clearly over the sound system singing an old song, "Safe in the Arms of Jesus." You could have heard a pin drop in that large auditorium. It was beauty and glory all mixed together. The honorary pall bearers included a red-uniformed Royal Canadian Mounted Police. For Mr. Shea was born in Canada and his country sent a delegate to honor him at his death.

There were very few young people there. Most of that age probably don't even know the name of this man who has won two grammies and sung live before more people than anyone else ever in history. With an 80 plus year singing career, his record probably won't be beat.

He had a great sense of humor. Someone said that several weeks ago he exclaimed to his wife, "Can you believe I'm 104? Are sure I'm really alive?" His son spoke of his father's favorite place on earth, a small humble pine cabin in the Canadian woods. No heat, and so simply built, it was never damaged by wind or water. How like his father. That's what I remember--his quiet humility and his gentle spirit.

What moved me the most were the recordings played of his voice singing familiar songs, as clearly as if he was there himself. I sat spellbound, every word sung by that familiar, incredible voice embedded in my heart since I was a little child. There weren't many dry eyes when his casket was taken out as his recorded voice sang, "The Holy City."

Someone said that when asked what he wanted to be remembered for, he quipped, "Always being on pitch." And indeed, he always was.


16 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing this post. The tears are flowing just reading your tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my...you have made me feel as if I was there too. How poignant it must have been to have heard Mr. Shea's voice at his home going service.

    Such a beautiful voice it was...such meaningful songs he sang!

    Precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now he will be singing for His Heavenly Father. What a beautiful voice and a good testimony! How awesome you were able to attend his funeral. Was Billy Graham there?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for you loss. He must have been a wonderful man!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful tribute, Dotsie... it does seem that so many are leaving us right now. I'm glad you were there. blessings ~ tanna
    ps the birthday setting was so beautiful. your friend must have felt so very special. perfect for milestone birthdays. ;) and I do wish I had one of those cupcakes right now with my coffee. hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a joy it must have been to know him personally. Indeed he was always on pitch.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family always watched Billy Graham's crusades and we always listened to 'Bev" sing, my grandmother had several of his albums. I thought the other day when I learned of his death, that so many are now going to be with Jesus from that generation.

    How special that your father new him so well, and that you went to honor your dad's friendship with him.

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not heard of this singer before and offer sympathy for the loss of your friend.
    I like the reference you made to the 'builder generation' and mentioned it to hubby. It is so true.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Podso,
    I had the privelege of hearing him sing at a Billy Graham Youth Rally in KCK in my early tween years! Every year after that, I would race to the TV during the Crusades to hear his voice. My favorite was to hear him sing,"It Is No Secret What God Can Do"!!!
    So sad to hear of his passing...at just the time my vocal is returning!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely tribute to a real phenomenon. Love his desire to be known as being 'on pitch.' Imagine him with the angel choir. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't realize he was a Canadian and I almost never heard of him. My first in-laws liked his singing and they had some of his eight tracks, they played them at their 25th anniversary party. Amazing that he lived to 104 and his wife is still alive? That's truly amazing!
    Have a good day! Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful place this blogging world is. I'm so glad you were able to give us a first hand account of Mr. Shea's service. I didn't know he was Canadian, and I'm so pleased that Canada honoured him in that way. He had a wonderful, wonderful ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad you were there for the service. Like your first commenter, I feel like I was there, and the tears have flowed here too.

    I wonder who will be remembered by the younger generation when they start losing those they've listened to or admired.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A great man was lost to us but welcomed into the choir of angels.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh what a legacy you have! Thanks for writing a post on his funeral. I can hear his voice too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My parents and two grandparents were saved at a Billy Graham crusade...I know Mr. Shea's songs were part of their coming to Christ.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...