Wednesday, March 09, 2016

gathered again

Once again we gathered around a beautiful table to discuss another book. 
This time we enjoyed a lighter, but totally inspiring book, 
Bread and Wine: A Love Letter for Life Around the Table, with Recipes, 
by Shauna Niequist.
The book was an easy read, and full of descriptive recipes 
(including one--bacon, goat cheese dates--oh yum).
I didn't photograph the food but much of it was made from the book. 
Such a good time.
A favorite quote from the book: 
 "It's not strictly about food for me. It's about what happens when we come together,
 slow down, open our homes, look into one another's faces, listen to one another's stories. 
It happens when we leave the office and get a sitter and skip our workouts every 
so often to celebrate a birthday or an accomplishment …. when we break out of the normal 
clockwork of daily life and pop the champagne on a cold gray 
Wednesday for no other reason than the fact the the faces 
we love are gathered around our table."

A surprise "door prize" was one of the daffodil centerpieces: given to the 
person who made the most recipes while reading the book! 

14 comments:

  1. What a great way to celebrate finishing this book. I enjoyed reading it and the part I took away was all about the time for feasting and a time for fasting. I think it was in this book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a fun book club Dotsie. The bright yellow daffodils down the table are a lovely touch. I think my friend has that book and has raved about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to read this book soon, Dotsie. My kind of read. Your book club reads quite a variety of books. And the table looks like spring! So lovely. I do believe we have jumped straight into summer here! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful table setting! Getting together with friends over food is always a delight. To have your discussion topic already fixed sounds wonderful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That must have been a lovely gathering, Dotsie. I like the idea of cooking from a book that everyone is reading. The dates, bacon and goat cheese combo sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely table...but I am betting the fellowship was even better. That would be a fun book to read and fix recipes from.
    Enjoy the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do love gathering around the table with good friends, good food and the discussion of a good book.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely table!! It sounds like you had a grand time!! Wishing you well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I absolutely love the daffodil centerpieces! I'll bet this was an enjoyable gathering on many levels.

    This sounds like a book that I'd enjoy reading...probably while nodding my head up and down in agreement, if the quote is any indication.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your table looks delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful table setting with the daffodils - a welcome to Spring.

    Some of my favourite books are those that also include recipes wrapped around the story!
    I'll try and order it through my library!

    It's 5am and I'm about to go downstairs and make our tea and toast before we both leave for work - it's Friday so Yea the last day of the working week!

    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like a fun thing to do....and such a pretty tablescape to visit with your book club friends.
    I love the daffodils.
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful experience to read a book and then discuss it amongst friends over food. I noticed how big the mugs were!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your friends must have really enjoyed the delicious food and conversation. My mother always wanted someone to "Take a picture of the food!" and of course the family and friends were captured as well. Years later my sister compiled a family cookbook with some wonderful memories of the dinner table and the family sitting around it. Lovely to see your beautiful table!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...