Tuesday, October 28, 2014

something new


I have a new knee. It's something the Gardener and I talked and prayed about for a long time and then the time seemed right and the decision was made.  And for the past several months I've been preparing. Everything in my life has been impacted by the coming surgery. I had a long list of house projects--some since I retired from nursing that never got done, and I was determined to get most of them done. I knew it would be a long time before I would feel like washing windows or scrubbing baseboards or . . . so I needed to work on my list.  Check. Check. Check. The list dwindled.  I was nesting like a woman ready to deliver her baby. Finally I checked off the last thing and everything was ready. The Gardener and I took off for a day to enjoy the color in the mountains.

The week before surgery my fear intensified. I've heard many horror stories of the pain after a total knee replacement. My fear was mostly about how I would deal with the intense pain. (I'm not sure nurses always make the best patients.) The last time I was in the hospital  was in Africa, many years ago and it was a faith-stretching experience then, where God gave me peace in such a tangible way I could almost touch it. He did that again for me this time. I felt like I was floating in His love and warm arms. I was relaxed when the big day came.

My knee dressed up in ice and in its stretch machine.
I did not have general anesthesia but a spinal with "twilight." I remember getting the spinal. A man in scrubs held me firmly curled up like a ball to expose my back for the spinal stick. I remember saying, "Now I know how the babies felt." I'm sure they thought I was already "lulu" but I meant it. Many a time as a baby nurse I had to hold a wee one in such an awkward position as we did a spinal tap. And now I was experiencing it. I felt the stick, and the pressure, and thankfully nothing more.

A week later I'm doing well. I feel like I'm back in school when my physical therapist gives me a good score and applauds my hard work. The Gardener has been a wonderful caregiver and a strong taskmaster when he coaches me with my exercises and stretches my knee. That's when the  tears come. Such pain, but it is worth it as the   flexibility increases.  Recovery is busy -- nurse and PT visits, naps, six hours each day in the knee bending machine, icing, exercise,  E  T   C. . . But it is better than I thought it would be, and I am so, so grateful to be on this side of it and on the way to taking walks again and riding my bike. I'm thankful for blog friends who have checked on me. And I'm thankful for God's presence all along the way.

25 comments:

  1. I know you'll work hard to get better and heal up. I'll keep you in my prayers...I know how hard it is to do something like this. You have a wonderful attitude and that goes a long way in the healing process. Sweet hugs my friend, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats wonderful to hear it's been such a success and I hope it continues to improve.
    Merle..............

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get well recovery wishes to you! PT can be a struggle, but as you know worth it. Take care of yourself and before you know it you will be enjoying your walks and bike rides! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Warm get well wishes to you... I am so glad that God met you right when you needed His assurance and that things like PT and extra help have been well underway. That's a very interesting method that you had for getting your chores done! =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful...that you have a new knee, that we live in a day when such things are possible, that you were able to accomplish so much before the surgery, that you knew God's presence on the day of the surgery, that your recovery is moving along well, that you have a dear husband to help you... So many blessings! I will be praying that you continue to move forward with His help!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you. My older brother has two new knees and a new shoulder. He's the bionic man!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So very glad to see a post from you. You've been well prayed up, sweets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So wonderful that this is behind you and you're on the way to recovery. When I had a hip replacement last winter, our initial therapy included knee replacement patients too. They remarked how far knee replacement has come. One woman had had her other knee replaced 10 years ago and she said this time was so much better! Prayers for a full recovery soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had no idea how arduous the physio is for knee replacement. A gal in our garden club had both of hers done at the same time so now I shudder at the pain she must have endured.
    Praying that the recovery is successful so that you can enjoy the activities mentioned again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are speaking my language now, Dotsie...although I have never had a knee replacement (and hope to never have to) I can certainly sympathize, working in PT for the past 30+ years. I can only imagine the pain but I do see so many great end results, working with a therapist who I would send anyone I know to. Keeping me down would be my biggest problem too and like you, I would have wanted to "get it all done" before hand...mostly so no one else would offer to come in and help me with my mess...lol! Well, prayers for you, sweet friend, as you continue you healing and recuperating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad to hear that you are on the other side of the knee replacement. I hope that you continue to heal and get that flexibility back. Praying for healing - and for patience as you rest and wait.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My brother-in-law had this in early spring. I know it was very painful in the beginning...keep hanging in there! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dot,

    I'm so thankful that your surgery went well. I didn't know that there was so much involved in getting the knee back to peak performance, I'm sure it's grueling but you have faith and a great mind set. What you are going through is so much more than I have been, I applaud you!

    I know many are praying for a full recovery for you, as I am. Prayers and hugs to you and The Gardener! He's a good man!

    Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to hear that you are on the mend. Praying for a quick recovery

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so glad to hear that it was better than you thought it would be. That's very encouraging! Somewhere along the line I missed that you had been a nurse. I can better understand why you might be more reticent than most of us might be! You know things the rest of us don't! Keep up the good work--physically, emotionally, spiritually--and you'll be on that bike, weather permitting, in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Let us know when you are off the walker! You are doing very, very well!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had noticed you hadn't been blogging as much lately. I'm glad your surgery went well and you are recuperating nicely at home. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, I love how you describe the presents of God and how he gave you peace, "God gave me peace in such a tangible way I could almost touch it." What a joy to KNOW He was there!
    Glad you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So glad for you! I know that it was a blessing for my mom when she had her knees done. Praying for your recovery and pain management!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know the rehab is long, but everyone I know who has had knee replacement is happy once everything is healed and they are walking again. Good luck and keep getting good scores during PT.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just broke my computer break and saw this post. So glad that you are doing well--well enough to enjoy your recuperation I hope.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  22. I am so happy that you made the decision to do this, Dotsie! Everyone I know who has had knee replacement have been very happy with the ultimate outcome. In fact I have quite a few friends who have ended up getting both knees done. No one said they regretted it. They did have to do a lot of pt afterward, but were amazed after a shot while at how much better they felt once the healing process took place. I will keep you in my prayers fro a complete and quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Podso,
    Oh, dear friend. . .I have been so busy nursing "Mr. Ed" that I didn't realize what you were going through!
    Prayers are coming your way for complete recovery, renewed strength and freedomfrom pain.
    Take good care of yourself, dear one.
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello dear Dotsie
    I'm so sorry I'm late popping in to see you.
    You are now through the operation stage and on the road to recovery.
    I can see it is difficult and painful but months down the track, I'm sure you will be glad you made the right decision.
    Thank God for the dear Gardeners in our lives, who have stuck by us... even in sickness too!
    I fear I'm not far away from the same fate, I've had a painful knee for a while now - c'est la vie.
    Sending you healing hugs and I wish I was closer and could pop by and spend some time with you.
    Keep up the good work and you'll be back on your feet in no time!
    Shane x

    ReplyDelete
  25. I hope you are feeling much better today, just took a moment to look at your blog, now that my internet is working again. I hope you can make it to bookclub, and hope the exercises are not so painful now. I enjoyed the week with Mom for her 90th, lots to do there, but now home and lots to do here, of course. Holidays, book to finish, concerts to play or sing, students to plan recitals for, and grandbabies to hold and love. I need to get my list made out, and stick to it. It's Veteran's Day and I'm remembering those who have served our country well, and sacrificed. God bless America. God bless you as you recover!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...