Wednesday, February 27, 2013

oval delight

I recently made a crockpot breakfast casserole that I found on a cooking blog. It is basic and flexible––you can have about anything you want in it.  I'll just tell you how I made it.

Grease an (oval) large crockpot. Place one to two slices of old French bread broken into chunks. Next add whatever you want. I put in sliced mushrooms, olives, browned onions, some chopped pieces of turkey bacon and some small bits of broccoli. Once that's in, you mix 4 eggs with 1/4 to 1/2 milk and a pinch of salt and pour over other ingredients. Top with 1/2 cup of shredded Cheese. Cover and set your crock pot for 1 1/2- 2 hours on high.  What amazed me is that it lifted out perfectly intact. I pulled out my mother's 70 year old platter, and it gave it a beautiful presentation. This was sure yummy and served the two of us with leftovers.

13 comments:

  1. I would have never thought to make a breakfast casserole in a crock pot. It looks delicious. You are right--the platter is beautiful.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well darn wish that I knew about this at Christmas - I had my turkey in the oven and didn't have anywhere to put my casserole, so I had to run to my Mums in the early am.

    Brilliant!

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be lovely for holiday mornings for a crowd. It sounds wonderful. I've found that crockpot meals tend to multiply.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm learning to love my crock pot. I did a roast in it the other day! Wonderful!

    I love simple recipes like this. Especially for holidays!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, that looks and sounds delicious! I will pin it.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this looks delicious and the presentation is beautiful. Our daughter makes crock pot pizza which I will have to make and share on here one day. It's similar to this recipe. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I have a platter in that pattern!!
    Smiles, Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm. This looks good. What a great use for a crockpot. I love that white platter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Podso,
    This sounds amazingly delicious!!!
    Many times "Mr. Ed" and I cook breakfast for dinner! I'll be copying this one for my files!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
    Your casserole looks lovely on the oval serving plate!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum! That is amazing that it comes out like that. I want this for tomorrow morning!!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I like this recipe idea Dotsie, I'll be sure to add it to my collection for the crock pot. Thanks for sharing, and your creation looks quite yummy.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would have trouble eating this foe breakfast I have no appetite in the morning but it would make a great lunch.
    Merle.....

    ReplyDelete
  13. That. Looks. Delicious.
    And I like it just the way you made it. I must book mark this and make it for my family some weekend...

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...