Friday, March 30, 2012

tweaked

We liked mashed cauliflower. I usually whip it together with my nearly antique electric beaters, but sometimes I just use a hand "masher." Last night I tweaked it a bit and it was soooo delicious. I used the hand masher so it was lumpier than usual.

I sometimes speak a recipe the way I do driving directions. Here we go with my tweaked mashed cauliflower:

Take a head of cauliflower, wash, break apart and boil til soft in slightly salted water. Meanwhile scrub a large sweet potato, and cook in microwave 3 minutes. Peel, chop to pieces and add to cauliflower for the last five minutes of cooking. Throw in some minced dried onion. Drain and mash with: garlic, a spoonful of butter. a tad of salt, onion powder, sour cream, a tad of milk and a handful of grated cheddar cheese.  It was so colorful ... and a (fairly) healthy substitute for a starch with our meal.

Joining with Foodie Friday today.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Dotsie
    I have never thought to add another veggie to cauliflower and I like this idea! To my mashed potatoes I am adding a parsnip thanks to someone's suggestion. It could have been you! My husband does not like parsnips and I grin like a Cheshire cat every time he eats the potatoes and doesn't know. :-)
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds good for lovers of cauliflower. John would love it and if I were a good wife... I always make cauliflower into a slaw with dressing and parmesan cheese. Some gals just never grow up (me)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We like cauliflower a lot but I've never mashed it. Sounds delicious! One question: Is a "tad" more or less than a "pinch"? = )

    Have a great weekend.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am soooo sending this to my vegetarian sister! Thanks Podso!

    I'm laughing at Judith's sneaky nature...too funny! We do the same, trying to hide veggies in various foods for the grandkidlets.

    Visiting from Foodie Friday,
    Hugs,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like cauliflower in almost any form, but I've never tried it mashed. The addition of sweet potato would be great. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omygoodness!!! That sounds amazing, I love sweet potatoes and cauliflower, that would be the perfect way to get hubby to eat cauliflower.
    Thanks dear lady for the recipe.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Podso,
    Y U M M Y! I love califlower...and the spices and seasonings you used are also my favorites!!! Believe me, I laughed when I read the nearly antique mixer...mine, too! Have a wonderful weekend, dear friend!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must have been born with the makings of a chef, this sounds so good. We usually steam our cauliflower or eat it raw...we'd make good pioneers maybe? =).

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love mashed cauliflower, too!! And, no matter how we tweak it, the version we are eating is always our "favorite"! ;)

    Okay, are the eggs ceramic?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:17 PM

    I recently had to go on a lactose free diet and I can modify your great sounding recipe just for me!!! I love cauliflower and sweet potatoes. Thank you. I'm now following your blog - for some reason, my profile pic shows up as an anonymous head!!!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...