Friday, March 23, 2012

storybook view

Since I have been having some "down time" while my thumb healed, I've enjoyed the rare treat of sitting in my sunny living room. I've leisurely read, sat, thought--what luxury of time! As I glanced at the table beside me I suddenly grasped that I had a view of snippets of my life right in front of me -- a storybook view, so to speak. What I saw:

The Gardener's mom and grandmother's formal portrait
My most favorite lamp shouting out, along with the plate, my love for blue and white
A letter opener from Africa
A mug reminding me of a favorite book club session and a special blog friend
Coasters from England
From my childhood home: tall lamp, piano, chair
One of the Gardener's first gifts to me--the oil lamp, and it was old then!
A picture of my mom and her sister, who I was named for
Papers to read for one of my jobs
Throw pillows recovered to spruce up the house before Youngest's wedding
The table built by my great-great-grandfather for my great-grandmother's wedding gift
Old books read by my beloved great-aunt and others ... All there so close to see.
I was blessed to have the time to look around that day.  And that's the way I love my house to be ... a storybook of our lives, in a way, anyway. In some measure it brings comfort. Does your house tell stories?

14 comments:

  1. I loved reading this story with you! So many memories and items fill your home. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blue and white lamp and plate is beautiful, I would love it too! Great memories, life's best things. Thank you for sharing them with us, I loved reading it. Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, our homes tell all about us, don't they? Guess it begs the question what it is speaking to us and what it is speaking to others.

    Right now the office (where I blog) is saying that it would like a good straightening.

    Your view of home is delightful. Not everyone has the treasures of a family through the years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope that your thumb is feeling better with each passing day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love to visit your home. You tell such good stories so your home must tell them too. That is what I call a comforting place to abide!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dotsie
    A nice way to put it! If we just look around us there is a story to be told and yours is heart warming.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely post. Yes, I can look around our home and see so many things that remind me of the house we grew up in or my grammie's or great aunt' homes. Your blue and white lamp is beautiful. I'm glad your thumb is healing. Hugs,
    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're such a love. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I so enjoyed this little glimpse into your afternoon. You and I share a love for blue and white.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is what I love the things around me to be too - - - stories.

    Is the African letter opener ivory? If so, I imagine you got it back in the day when you lived there 'cause trading in ivory is taboo these days.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope the thumb is healing well! What is it about genetics that predisposes us to like the same things? I love sitting in my living room where my eyes can rest on bits and pieces of my family story. It's the room where I like to meet God. Blue is my favorite color -- and I love the crisp contrast of blue and white. My favorite issue of Victoria magazine was always the blue & white issue! Be well...and thanks for the beautiful insights that you share.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous12:17 PM

    Such a sweet post, and so many wonderful treasures.
    Our house tells a few little stories. Just looking around here in the kitchen... the silverware we use daily was a gift to my grandparents for their 50th wedding anniversary from my parents. The brown pottery mugs a gift from our son and daughter-in-law, who live in Japan. My eldest daughter gave us the lamp that sits on our kitchen table. There are dishtowels and a blue and white pie plate that belonged to my great-grandmother. My youngest daughter gave me the wooden recipe box for Christmas when she was 5. Yes, many loving stories surround us. Thank you for the reminder, Dotsie!
    I hope you have a great weekend!
    Hugs,
    ~ Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the story of your home from your reading corner. How wonderful to glance around and have all of those wonderful memories. Your blue and white a lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely and interesting, family oriented story your house tells. I think mine tells stories, about my love for creativity and my craving for beauty.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...