Saturday, November 12, 2011

hoping for a red Letter mail day

And none will hear the postman's knock
Without a quickening of the heart.
For who can bear to feel himself forgotten?"
~W.H. Auden

Seems that every day I look forward to the mail. Even in these days of email, there's a slight rise in suspense as I walk to the box. I just don't know what all might be in it when I pull down the lid. Junk mail is a given; some can be recycled on the way back into the house. The credit card offers can be torn in half; the bills piled high; and the endless catalogs can be recycled or looked at. 
But very occasionally ... out falls a treat ... yes, a REAL, handwritten letter or card.

The first clue is the hand written address. True, it could be an invite, but honed detective skills quickly rule that out. The envelope can be a gift in itself. I have one friend who makes envelopes from magazine pages that picture something I love. Others adorn an envelope with a sticker. 
And I always know an intentional letter writer when the stamp is above average. 
Obviously serious about their correspondence, they looked for nice stamps, not just the usual flag stamp.

When I get mail like this, it's a "red letter mail day."* If I have the time, I'll make a cup of tea
 before I sit down to open the letter, which I consider a true gift.

And why is it a gift? Because someone cared enough to get out pen, paper, envelope, a stamp, look up my address and actually write some thoughts down on paper. Something for me to think about, delight in, etc. Letters can be saved ... and read again and again. The handwriting might even tell us 
something ... was the writer feeling happy, writing in leisure, or stressed and dashing off a missive?

The other day I got such a letter from a very old friend. In fact, we didn't know each other all that well as we sat side by side in choir practice so long ago. She was expecting her first child and we connected in many ways. Somehow we kept in touch because we both cared about such a thing. When her kids were old enough to homeschool she asked me advice and I tried to encourage her. 
Even though it's easy to dash off an email, she took the time to write. And ... she has nine kids! 
 I figure if she can find the time to write ...

... So can I. Because I know how nice getting a letter can be, I do my best to write them when I can ... not only to people far away but even to friends who live locally. 
Because there's just something about getting a letter ...

("Red letter day" comes from the practise of marking the dates of church festivals on calendars in red, way back in the 1500s--i.e., a special day.)

Connecting to Chari's Happy to Design  for Sunday Favorites. Published four years ago this month.

Not my photos; photo on left of a rubber stamp my sister used on a card to me.

11 comments:

  1. What a lovely post! I also anticipate seeing the mail driver stop and put up the red flag on our mailbox. And usually it's the same as we all get as you described. However, near birthdays and special holidays I anticipate cards from loved ones and recognize the handwriting immediately. I have a sister who embelishes her letters with stickers and since I haven't seen her for over 10 years those ones are special. Thanks for sharing today and I hope you have a lovely weekend. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. On a normal day the mail yields up bills and statements and the odd alumni magazine. From time to time, however, something else slips from the box - a rare treat. I know what you mean about savouring the entire experience!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! Red letter mail days are the best. Seems I look in my mailbox everyday with anticipation for such a thing myself. My mom sends me little notes in the mail and it's always a joy to see my name handwritten. This will be my goal next week. Send someone a note. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those personal letters are becoming too rare a treat. Sometime ago, I read that the handwritten letter (or note) would be highly collectible in the future. I, like you, wait for a special time to read them and save a number of them. I've also saved letters (snail and e-mail) from my sons over the years. I'll put them into a book for them one day as they are a fairly good "diary" of their high school and college years.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do enjoy my catalogs, but the junk mail and bills are not too exciting. I love getting a sweet thank you note or an invitation. It seems that's all I get these days as opposed to a nice long letter from a friend. And I do love the handmade cards and pretty envelopes. That really shows time and thought. My sister used to make each and ever one of her Christmas cards to send out. I so admired her.

    Have a lovely weekend, Dot.

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice post. Letters in the mail are truly a thing of the past now. I can remember my mom sitting with pad of paper and a pen for hours, writing, talking to us kids and then going back to her writing again.
    When I grew up and moved away, she would write to me, filling me in on all of the news. I did not keep one of those, and now she is gone, I wish I had used some foresight and kept them.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. The mail it's great when we receive a magazine subscription like I do my Good Housekeeping, it's always so wxciting to receive each issue every month...I don't like to receive my bills, but I'm a good payer as I get so nervous! I also received Chie's giveaway all the way from Switzerland! That was sooo exciting! Thanks for sharing dear Podso and have a blessed Sunday. Kisses to Little One. FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  8. Podso,
    Adore this post! I'm a letter writer and, yes, I look for those special stamps...unique stationary and I've handmade envelopes! On Crooked Creek there's a desk in the home office, the guest room...and now in the Master Bedroom. I still write letters...not as often as I use to, but I try to correspond with those closest to my heart. You are correct...the JOY of receiving an hand written letter is divine!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your post! Joann

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dotsie...

    What a sweet post, my friend! I couldn't agree more...there is just something really special about getting an handwritten letter...especially in these days of modern email! To think that someone took the time to sit down and pen their thoughts and queries to me...just makes my heart smile. I must admit, I do not write as many handwritten letters as I used to...simply because of the simplicity of emailing. I still write my dear mother and father who live in Texas. Of course, they do not have a computer but...even when it would take less time to just pick up the phone and call them...I still write them...simply because I know they look forward to my letters.

    Thank you for writing this post...sure does give us all something to consider and think about! I sure do hope that handwritten letters are not becoming a lost art! So happy to see you for Sunday Favorites today, dear lady! I hope that you're having a super sweet Sunday!

    Warmest autumn wishes,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that stamp of your sister's .
    A RED Letter Day also means a cup of tea to stop life and listen to that person. I have yours saved!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...