Wednesday, November 16, 2011

going bananas

 I wonder if I inherited a gene for going loving bananas. Because I do. 
And something I care a lot about is this banana boat that has been 
passed down several generations. Obviously others in the family also enjoyed bananas.
I love the glass work. Beautiful detail. It looks best when filled with bananas (of course)!
It came "on the boat" from Holland with my great-great grandmother and
 her young girls in the last quarter of the 19th century.
That sounds like a long time ago and it was. 
Sometimes I'm fearful that I will be the one to break it. 
Many a banana has rested here ... for I'm not sure what else would rest there as nicely.
Maybe other fruit would manage there as long as not too close to the edge.
Now I'm suddenly remembering my mother had a milk grass banana boat.
I wonder where it is now. Or was it my grandmother's?
Funny how one memory can lead to another.
And we may not get answers to some of these questions we are curious about--too late in life.

12 comments:

  1. I have a lot of my grandmother's glass but not a banana
    container nor have I seen one. I love bananas too and can hardly keep any around long enough to make banana bread. Maybe I should do an occasional banana split though.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty dish! I have never heard of a 'banana boat dish' before but it kind of makes sense with the shape of it. I think it's so special that you have this very old dish and that it's survived so long! (I hope you aren't the one to break it too!) I love bananas too and have one every morning on my cereal. :) Enjoy the day! Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never seen a banana dish before. Now they have those banana hanger thingys. But bananas don't last too long around my house...we all love them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dotsie, I would not have know what that was. I am so glad to have learned a new thing this morning!

    There are many things I wish I would have known or thought to ask... before it was too late.

    Of course, I love that this has been passed down from one generation of banana lovers to the next. ;) blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never seen a banana boat that I can recall. But I absolutely love yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grapes look gorgeous draped in a banana boat, and yours is REALLY beautiful. Wow -- and that it comes with family history makes it even sweeter and more lovely.

    I've seen people keep folded linen napkins in those dishes, but I think they work best with fruit -- bananas, or grapes. Apples will roll off, lol.

    You asked about the chandelier bulb replacement -- we realized years ago that the way to avoid having one bulb after another burn out at inconvenient times was to just replace them all at the same time each year, so we chose Thanksgiving, the start of the holidays.

    Easy to remember! And luckily for me it's one of Howard's jobs!
    Have a happy!
    Cass

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I never seen such a beauty for bananas.

    Wonderful inheritance.

    Happy day,
    /chie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Podso,
    Beautiful banana boat!
    Unanswered questions give me more reason to write down things I want my son to remember after I'm gone! Now, as I try to share with him...he's preoccupied. You reassure my thoughts!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the first banana boat I've seen like this! it is a beautiful heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's beautiful! I never heard of a banana boat before...at least not that kind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a lovely glass banana boat! I've never seen anything like it before. How wonderful that you have the history of it and that it is such a special family piece!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...