Monday, September 12, 2011

a rocking survey

I've just come through one of the busiest times I can remember and have been feeling just a bit exhausted. Thus, when at a shower at my DIL's house this weekend, I didn't mind at all taking our new grandson out on the porch to rock him to sleep. It was a spectacular fall day ... no humidity, mild temperatures, blue skies filled with fluffy clouds. Littlest One snuggled into my arms and his eyes got heavy. Such peace! It was just the rest that I needed.

There was an annual festival going on just a few blocks from the house and people parked wherever they could. As I rocked I enjoyed watching people walk by headed to or from the festival. I counted over 100 passing by the porch. I began to take note of who noticed the baby and who did not. Who smiled and who spoke ... and ended up with an unofficial count. I'd say 75% either smiled, spoke, or somehow acknowledged the sweet baby I was holding in this order: children, women, families, and lastly, (sorry) men. Who can resist a baby?

12 comments:

  1. A rocking chair + a front porch + a lovely day + a sweet baby to snuggle with = perfection!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is not only rest, but food for the soul!! Oh, how precious it is to hold a sleeping babe... plus, a rocker and a perfect day!

    I do find it interesting how many people respond to babies! They are like joy-magnets. Tells you something about the ones who do not respond positively. LOL! Glad you caught a moment of rest and soul food. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a gorgeous porch! I can't imagine anything more peaceful than sitting there with a sleeping baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's like a porch from an old musical - what a wonderful place to rest and hold a grandchild. Bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds NICE! You should have asked one of them to bring you back a sweet treat on their way back to their car :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep! Bonnie said it best. I love rocking and people watching from a front porch. Interesting survey! :) Hope your day is great. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Podso,
    Rocking a grandchild...a grandson has to be a bit of Heaven on Earth...that porch looks divine!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Podso
    I remember well the days of rocking our grands to sleep and found it so peaceful.
    Interesting survey, I like to people watch too.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  9. How special to rock your new grandson in such a beautiful spot. I love rockers on verandas. I'm glad so many people acknowledged you and the baby. I know I would. Enjoy your cuddle times. Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  10. A perfectly entertaining moment. A baby, a rocker, and a time to people watch.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cherished the moment I was able to rock my 5 and a half old grandson to sleep on my recent visit to Colorado, Podso. He struggled to stay awake and not miss anything, just like his daddy did many years ago...lol A grand baby is such a wonderful gift to hold and rock.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful, not much better than that! Congratulations and God bless your new grandson! A blessing for sure.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...