Friday, August 26, 2011

"through the years"

I remember quite well a big party my mother and her sisters put on for my grandparents' 40th.  
The theme was "through the years" and my mom made a beautiful scrapbook of photos of them.
 I thought my grandparents were sooooo old. And here we are at the same point in our lives, and definitely not
feeling that old. This weekend, yes, is our 40th. And yes, we got married just a few days after my graduation.
In fact, so many of us did that we had trouble going to each other's weddings!
Craziness! What a busy time that must have been!
And how the years have flown!
We are grateful, very grateful to God for our years together ... meeting 
first as teenagers my freshman year of college. I soon was at all the basketball
games watching a certain young center and captain ... we got
engaged while our legs dangled over a cliff along the Hudson River, during 
the time I was down the river at another university pursuing the nursing education part of my degree. 
And since those wedding bells rang, life has been one adventure after another!
Photos through the years: newlyweds ... hippyish days ... big hair years ... grandparents!
The picture on the left makes me smile. We had just arrived in Africa and our
luggage was lost. Friends there found a change of clothes for us but it was a 
bit challenging to find something for the tall Gardener!
He wore this flowered shirt (not his fashion preference) for five days,
washing it out each night. It barely covered his waist.
Oh the memories we have collected together!
And now for some more!

26 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary!! Love the photos (and hairstyles). May the next forty be just as wonderful and exciting--and, with no lost luggage.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary to you both. Your pictures are wonderful.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happiest Anniversary wishes to you both! I love the photos and the clothes and hair styles. I remember wearing a bandana on my head back in the 'hippie' years too. What fun! Your life has been quite an adventure. God bless you with many more happy and healthy years together. Warm hugs, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pictures! Happy anniversary to you both and here's to many more adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dotsie, this just brought tears to my eyes. There is something so very special about a love that lasts through four decades. You two are a beautiful couple!! I loved seeing all the photos from the different years in your marriage. I'm celebrating you and The Gardender this morning with a prayer for many, many more wonderful years. Happy Anniversary. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary! We are two years behind you, but the photos are definitely our era. I truly believe that the best thing for a good marriage is other good marriages - even reading about then!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to you both. I love the big hair picture.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary Podso
    We are one year behind you and I agree, where does the time go? Don't you love looking back at the old photos, especially how our hair has changed? At least your husband still has hair. :-) Guess next year I should post some of our oldies.
    It is so nice of you to share your memories with your blogging friends.
    Have a wonderful celebration together.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE! :) As for that bottom picture...I'd say he wears that shirt well...a Magnum PI (aka Tom Selleck) look-alike :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy anniversary! I hope you enjoy many more years of health and happiness together.

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary and many, many more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My warmest Congratulations to you both, we hit the big 40 ourselves next April, where did the years go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am just in love with learning more about you. I have so enjoyed your pictures and can hardly wait for your next posts.
    You have lived a beautiful life, my sweet friend.
    Smiles, Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Anniversary!!!! And thank you for sharing your family photos, I enjoyed all of them! Celebrate!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well congrats my friend and many more to you! Loved your trip down memory lane - the photos are fab!

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  16. And he shaved for your wedding! My favorite is the one with you on the grass and your legs are on his lap. LOVE that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Anniversary!! I loved seeing all of the photos through the years...
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Anniversary!! I love all the pictures. For some reason seeing them makes me miss you guys this morning. The impact you two have had together is great and a blessing to so many.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Anniversary! That is a wonderful milestone in a marriage, especially these days. It seems as if you two have had so e fun adventures. I wish you many more.
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  20. These "through the years" posts are always a treat as we get to see photos from bygone days and to know a bit more about your story, which is always interesting. Happy Anniversary to you both! Me and mine celebrated our 27th (we got a late start, being in our early 30's when we married)...this month too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. oh goodness we had twin 70's hair!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Podso,
    What a lovely looking couple! isn't it amazing how quickly the years have passed? Happy Anniversary to you both and may you continue to grow together in love...for many more years to come!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Anniversary, the years have been good to you. You especially grew more attractive as the years passed. I don't understand people dying their hair as they begin to go grey, yours looks very beautiful, I think.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh how I enjoyed this post! Happy anniversary to you! Love the pictures and of course the 40 years of love :)

    Thank you for stopping by and leaving your sweet words concerning my mom. It was greatly appreciated!

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've really enjoyed these posts! I'm blessed that you shared them.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...