Saturday, August 06, 2011

from many pieces



There is a lovely blue Wedgewood porcelain lamp that has sat on my mother's dresser for as long as I remember. I've always fancied its simple urn-like lines, and and it's pure white shade. There's a crack or two I've noticed––it has obviously been repaired, but I never really knew what all that was about.

Today my mother and I were taking a walk where she lives. We passed some windows with messed up venetian blinds and I told her how I hate to see messy blinds in windows. Just a personal preference––neat rather than messy. Back at her little apartment, we sat on the sofa to talk. 

"Speaking of venetian blinds," she began, "when we moved into our little parsonage as newlyweds, the church had fixed it up for us and had hung new venetian blinds at the windows. But they didn't know how to hang them. I discovered
that fact the day I first went to clean the living room. I pulled up the blinds and they came crashing down, taking my beautiful wedgewood lamp with them. It broke into many pieces. How I loved that lamp––a wedding
 present from my aunt and uncle. When your father came home for lunch he found me on the living room floor dissolved in tears."

My father, loving groom that he was (all his life), took the pieces and somehow glued them back into a beautiful lamp that still hangs together 65 years later. You'd never know how broken it had been. Nor can I visualize my mother on the floor crying!

I love the stories that come at the oddest comments. Now I'll examine the lamp more closely, and from now on when I  look I'll think of my dad's loving hands gluing broken pieces together for his young bride.  I have two more stories about broken Wedgewood, but this one is the dearest by far! (Top photo is of a favorite lamp of mine, as yet unbroken).

Reposted from three years ago because I like the story so much. Joining Chari's Sunday Favorites.

18 comments:

  1. ahhh, and I love the story, too.
    Thanks for reposting it..I missed it the first time around.
    Over from Sunday Favorites..:)
    xo bj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dotsie...

    Ahhh...such a sweet and endearing story, dear friend! I could just see your Dad with all of those lamp pieces spread out before him...piecing...and glueing...them back together! Such sweet devotion!!! Thank you for sharing that beautiful story with us for the Sunday Favorites party today! It seems that we both...were thinking along the same lines of sweet family memories and treasures!!!

    Have a blessed Sunday, dear friend!
    Love ya,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful story ... and 65 years later is a beautiful thing, too. Thanks for sharing ... and the lamp is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Podso,
    Oh, how absolutely romantic!!! This love of newlyweds that endured 65 years . . .what a testimony to committment to one another. A lump swelled in my throat as I read this post. What a lovely memory for you. . .now that you have the rest of the story.
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet story. Thank you for sharing it with us. Hugs, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is the sweetest story...what a tender love your father showed for his bride.
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Podso
    What a caring man your father is and how nice your mom still has the lamp.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  8. That must have given you such a lovely glimpse of the young husband that your father once was - and a preview of the loving father and husband you knew later.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is also a great example of how we need to talk with our family. To get the best stories. Ones that are so personal and so special.
    Glad you thought to re-post this as I hadn't seen it before.
    Makes me want to call my mother in law.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a lovely family story! If anything gets broken around here, my husband just says, go buy another one. :/ Best wishes and blessings, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Podso, you DO tell the best stories and this is the best of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh yah - - - ANOTHER thing we have in common, growing up in parsonagese as PKs. I have lots of "pastor dad" stories too, and mine was a loving groom all mom's life too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the best objects to treasure are those with a sweet story behind them.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9:50 AM

    Such a lovely story. I talk on the phone with my dad every weekend. Sometimes I've heard a story before, but every once and a while he has a new one.
    Last week he asked me if I remembered when he made applesauce (I hadn't) - he had picked up several mushy apples that had fallen off the tree before mowing the lawn, put them down the garbage disposal, and discovered applesauce coming up through the shower drain in the basement. He has a wonderful sense of humor.
    :)
    Enjoy your Sunday, Dotsie!
    ~ Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Podso, that is such a sweet story. What a lovely memory of your wonderful dad.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely story and wonderful memory to go along with this family treasure! I could see my husband doing the same thing for me as he hates to see me sad.

    PS: The florists tell us that hydrangeas won't hold up well in flower arrangements for the wedding :(

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the glimpses into your parents' lives. I'm so glad that your mother is able to relate them to you and that you are recording them so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  18. {sigh} that's the kind of love everyone dreams of...

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...