Sunday, November 28, 2010

some hard rock at home

...before...

I've always been happy with our gray speckled laminate kitchen countertops. So when Eldest son, who installs granite countertops, wanted to give us granite in our kitchen, I didn't really care either way. In fact, I was a little apprehensive about what it would look like. But I knew he took pride in his work, so we agreed--after all, the price was unbeatable! He worked long and hard to find us just the right color--black with some gray flecks and even a dash of blue as a nod to my love of blue and white dishes.

The big day of installation arrived. I had other obligations so missed the whole show, which maybe was a good thing. When I arrived home, I could not believe how good they looked. I am both touched and thrilled. And what I love most about them is he knew me well enough to choose exactly what I would like. His love of granite and all its many varieties does remind me of when he was little, and loved to collect rocks and quartz, etc.

...after...

I've come to notice something interesting about granite. No matter what I set on its shiny black surface--the humblest left over container ... or my grocery list ... or even a banana peel-- the granite makes each thing look so, so good! It's like it all gets dressed up ... just like how the plainest person can look so much better wearing fine clothes and a little make up. I'm sure there is a life application here, but my brain is tired at the moment, so I'll leave you to think about it.

Linking to Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday


19 comments:

  1. It's beautiful, what a great gift! Enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet of him! The granite looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky for you that your son did this for you! It turned out lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful countertops! So nice of your son to give you that "simple pleasure" of reflection to enjoy every day! Thanks for stopping by so I could find you...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! What a fantastic gift!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful! Your granite does make everything on it look better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's just beautiful! Everything does seem to reflect off the shine. What a wonderful gift from your son!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your new counter tops are beautiful, and beautifying too! What a thoughtful son you have...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny thing. I was reading your post and admiring the first photo...not knowing it wasn't the granite! :) But the lower photo is even better...so fancy.

    He did a wonderful job. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is stunning! Your son is very good to his mother.

    ReplyDelete
  11. G.O.R.G.E.O.U.S!! I love that you son did this for you... and, that he love collecting stones as a child. =) I'm pondering the life application suggested here, too. Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  12. They look AWESOME! Tell "eldest son" that he chose wonderfully!=)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh wow, what a wonderful gift from you son. Granite does make an elegant kitchen and just in time to enjoy for the holidays. Hope you'll drop by and see our Christmas mantels. We're early this year. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a lovely gift, and so perfect that he knows you soo well. Hope that you enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving. I'm off today to do some decorating and other Mrs. Claus duties...

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're right--everything looks better on the granite that your son chose for you. Now, I must tell you that granite is just perfect to chill (put ice on a towel and lay it in place for a few minutes) and roll out perfect pie crust on. I think your son deserves his favorite pie!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your new countretops are beautiful. Thanks for the comment.
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll be pointing this out to The Great Dane!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anonymous2:03 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...