Saturday, November 06, 2010

generosity, and the lack thereof



     The day started out warm and humid with rain and threatening clouds. By the time we were on the train headed uptown the clouds had changed to bright sun. But then, as if a gift withdrawn, the wind and dark clouds furled again across the skies ... only to be replaced once more by sunshine, this time bringing cooler temperatures. Friends were taking us out to dine on a gift card they had received. So generous of them--they could have used the card three times themselves rather than sharing it with friends.
     The meal was lovely, and my entree--a favorite Chicken Marsala--was perfect. I boxed up the remains, thinking about the mouth-watering second meal it would make. And now my story splits.

Story One: Walking on the train platform, we were approached by our second panhandler of the day. A quarter for some fast food? That wouldn't buy anything. My box of food suddenly felt very heavy in my hands. Maybe I should give it to him. But I didn't, sitting it down on the bench next to me as we waited for our train. Once we hopped off the train back at our car, I realized the box wasn't with me. I'd left it on the bench. Serves me right, I thought to myself. Quick lesson here ... and I breathed a silent prayer that panhandler friend would circle back and find the delicious meal and enjoy it for me, as he should have--if I'd been generous.

Story Two: Generous gift card friends headed home, stopping on the way to try and find a pecan pie for a church Thanksgiving dinner the next day. No pies to be found. They passed a fruit stand with a "Pecan Pie Sale" sign. Alas, it had just closed. Cash register sales tallied, all in process of being locked up for the day. 
     They made an attempt anyway, but the answer was "no," even if cash was offered. Walking back to the car, our friend noticed that the pie seller was running after them, pie in hand. "Here," she said,"take a pie. No charge. Enjoy. They are to die for. You'll love it."

Originally posted two years ago this week. See Chari's Happy to Design for more "Sunday favorites."

16 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for following my blog! I'm following you right back. Love yours. You're a great story teller/writer. I've read every post on this current page and look forward to reading more.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't beat yourself up over this...you had good intentions in your heart...I have been in the same situation and my mind never worked that quickly. I think both stories told a great tale of generosity and are so very well written from beginning to end.

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:19 PM

    Oh, how I love this post! I myself have been through some very difficult years and the only thing that saw me through them was the generousity and kindness of others. I keep my eyes, ears, and heart open and 'pass it forward' whenever possible. I cannot think of anything more important in life than kindness and generousity.
    Sending you hugs & wishing you a very lovely weekend,
    ~ Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post.
    I believe that most people are instinctively generous - I'll be the panhandler found your meal and blessed you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I couldn't find your email address...

    The cookies were actually sort of hard...not sure if the pan was meant for cookies but I thought I would give it a shot. The inside was soft.

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this post... how many times have I later wished I had given or done something different and just didn't in the moment...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reminds me of the time I went to Subway for lunch. As I was walking to my car with my Subway sack in hand, a guy walked up to me and asked if I had any change to give him. I stretched my hand out to give him my subway lunch sack. He took it, but I could tell by the surprised look on his face and his comment that he wasn't looking for food, (if you know what I mean) That was one time I was sorry that I gave it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I sure hope the panhandler found the meal waiting for him. This was a lovely post to share.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing about generosity. This is a good story to read about and reflect upon at Thanksgiving time.
    Hugs and blessings, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a very interesting read. I try to avoid "what if" thoughts in my mind, but it's sometimes hard to do. What's done is done. Move on.

    Easier said than done sometimes, I know.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Dotsie...

    So very happy to see you for Sunday Favorites, sweet friend! I loved reading your story...very thought provoking! I have been in the very same spot...several times...later wishing that I had offered a gift...money, etc.! So many lessons to learn...right? I do hope that the pan handler went back and found that yummy meal and that he enjoyed it!!! I have a strong feeling that he did just that! Ohhh...and what a blessing...that pecan pie!!! God is always so faithful...I AM BLESSED!!!

    Have a super Sunday, my friend!

    Warmest autumn blessings,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh what a wonderful post. I bet the panhandler found the meal and enjoyed it. The story of the pecan pie was heart-warming. We are all blessed, aren't we? Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving such a sweet comment. Come back anytime:) I hope you have a wonderful Sunday.
    Blessings,
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely story. Wonder if the panhandler would even have wanted your meal - - - sometimes they only want money. Sad to say, but this IS America and we all have set ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I am SMILING! I loved your story, and am So glad you chose it as a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just caught up on these latest two posts. I've had no time to blog myself or sit down and read. This one is so well written. I loved it. It's interesting how God chooses to teach us things.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting! Hope the man found your box, and the pie story is sweet! :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...