Tuesday, October 20, 2009

like old friends


This sudden burst of unseasonably cold air here in the normally sunny south has caught me with very few warm clothes near at hand. Too cold for sandals. How comforting to at least dig out my old shoes. Maybe they need replacing (I do have a better pair I wear to the office and to church), but who can let go of old friends? Not me! They still work and are the most comfortable shoes I own. Over the years they have conformed to my feet and when I wear them it's like walking on air, or something.


I kind of like the fact that they are old. It sort of "goes with the times." Aren't we recycling a lot more now? Making do with what we have in order to conserve for what may lie ahead? Many times I smile to see what the younger generation is doing, for it reminds me so much of our early married life. Not that we don't still live on the cheap, but I can give a long list of conservation measures we practiced then. It feels good to do with aging, worn things that still do well what they were made to do.

Old shoes, old friends. Welcome back to another winter season. Maybe I'll do you a favor and try a little polish. :-)

6 comments:

  1. I had a fav pair of old shoes...hubby kept telling me they needed to go...then...one day...they came up missing...huuummmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I so get this post. And don't your feet just go "ahhhh" when you put those shoes on? Thought so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:52 PM

    I'm wearing a pair right now that look very similar - Josef Seibel shoes bought 10 years ago. Spring, Summer, Winter, Fall - my favs! I think they'll go at least another 10.

    Happy Wednesday!
    Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a favorite pair of clogs that I can't seem to part with. They are still in pretty good shape, I think, but even if they weren't, I probably would still wear them, at least around the house. For me, once I reached a certain age, it's become all about comfort!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the same thing about some clogs I wore yesterday. By the end of the day , my feet were still comfortable. Cozy. Old shoes and they felt like home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love old friend and old shoes. They are always comfortable and they love you without judging you.

    We're having temps in the 70's so I broke out my sandals again - at least for this week!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...