Friday, October 23, 2009

Cream Anyone?


My mother had a beautiful dark blue Hall teapot when I was growing up. That's how I learned that if it's a "Hall" piece of pottery, it's good. Hall was known for it's teapots back in the day, until serving tea took a back seat to coffee drinking.  I read a little about Hall china and learned that it was the first china to be lead free, because they developed a very hot kiln that allowed brilliant colors (like in fiestaware), and thereby killed all the lead. I have always loved going to antique shops or flea markets, and therefore I began to notice Hall china. One day I happened upon a huge shop that had a whole section made up like a 50s kitchen (yes, even black and white tiled floors) completely filled with all kinds of Hall. I have always collected/been attracted to little pitchers, and that day my love for Hall creamers began.


Since then it has been fun to have something to look for when I go antiquing, since I usually can't afford to buy much else.  There must be plenty others collecting these as they are very hard to find now. A couple on these shelves may be "knock offs," and a couple obviously aren't Hall at all (can you guess which two aren't?), but there are several with the famous Hall stamp on the bottom.


The Gardener came upon this old brown shelf (now painted black) that was perfect for my little collection, which I now consider complete as the shelves are filled. (Well, I guess I could make it 100% Hall, but I do love the sweetness of the  other creamers too.) Even though I have enough, I still enjoy the "hunt" of looking for them.

I've joined up with "Show and Tell" today. Click on that name to see more. Such a cute title ... how well I remember those "Show and Tell" days at grade school.

14 comments:

  1. I like Hall pieces. They have some unusual things also. I like all the color of your creamer shelf. I am not good enough to say what ones aren't hall without checking out their bottoms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Podso
    I like Hall pieces too. The pink ones aren't Hall, right?
    Hope you enjoy the weekend.
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, now I'm jealous! (kidding, but only a tiny bit)...am partial to the white/red one on the right. Could give it a really good home!

    Love to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love collections. This one is very cute. I have a few Hall pieces. So nice of you to share.
    Blessings,
    Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH I love that.
    Absolutely makes me want to see them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Ms.P...

    Good to see you today, my friend! How are you doing? I sure enjoyed looking through your collection of Hall creamers...ohhh, they are sooo sweet! I love all the colors and they are such a heavy pottery...love that! I found the history that you included about Hall pottery very interesting! I didn't realize that it was the first pottery here to be lead free! Good for Hall!!!

    You have a beautiful collection, Darlin'...and have them displayed beautifully on those pretty shelves! Ohhh yes...I spotted the two creamers that are not Hall...the pretty red transferware pitcher and the beautiful white ironstone pitcher! hehe! I love them all!!! Thank you for sharing them with us today...what a treat!!!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice collection of creamers.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello My Friend!

    What a great collection! And thanks for the history lesson on the pottery. I love all of the vibrant colors!

    Thanks for visiting this am!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your collection! It is really beautiful. I think my favorite one is the red and white one. Thank you so much for sharing! -April

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all your posts, podso, even though I don't always arrive all the way here to comment.

    Love your background. I tried to change mine the other day, but it wouldn't cooperate.

    I have one more week here in Virginia before I head back to Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your collection of little pitchers is displayed so perfectly on that shelf the Gardener spruced up for you. It's beautiful. I've notice you and I do seem to have some things in common...I absolutely love little pitchers! And have a little display shelf that belonged to my mom. Most of my pitchers are little cheap things that I loved the look of...or that someone gave me. Different sizes too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fabulous collection of Hall pitchers! You display them beautifully! I loved the background info too. Thanks for sharing!

    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great collection! I love the red and white one!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your collection is so beautiful! That shelf shows it off perfectly :).

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...