Sunday, June 07, 2009

dinner is served

We suddenly realized that friends of our were moving back to Singapore next month and if we were going to have them over for dinner it had to be this past weekend. I don't mind impromptu if I have time to cook, and I did on Saturday. I actually enjoyed spending time in the kitchen.  Strawberries and blueberries were reasonably priced and as sweet as could be. I decided to make a fruit tart.
The Gardener wanted me to make things simple. Buy potato salad to go with the grilled chicken. That was not on my agenda. Roasted potato salad is just the best, especially if you throw in a little bacon. It turned out well.
As did the tart. I was admiring it so much I almost forgot to put the glaze on. This was a glaze using limeade. I thought the lime taste may have made it too "tart" (no pun intended), but it did mellow the sweetness.
What a looker! The glaze is like putting on lip gloss, eh?
I've started making my niece's recipe of "Patience Iced Tea"--sort of a take off on the sun tea we used to make. I usually change the recipe a bit, but I've included it for those interested. This time I made both peach and blueberry tea (both without caffeine) and I did not use any citrus with the blueberry.

Patience Peach Iced Tea (no heat)

1 pretty pitcher (necessity)
2 quarts water 
6 peach tea bags
2 Tb raw honey (I left this out)
1/8 orange slice, squeezed (can use OJ in a pinch)
1/3 C sugar
1 Tb lemon juice

Let teabags steep unheated for 30 minutes, then carefully drain liquid from teabags and toss.
Add honey and sugar and stir vigorously
Place in frig to serve chilled
May garnish with lemon rings or orange rings floating in pitcher

It was perfect weather for an evening on the porch. The hydrangeas were starting to bloom and just happened to match the mix of blue and green dishes.
A good time was had by all, but I admit I fell into bed exhausted later that evening!


9 comments:

  1. Oooo...that is all so pretty. I love the blue and green table settings. I'll try that tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How absolutely beautiful. And the tart was picture-perfect---glad you got a shot of it. Everything so girlie pretty and I'm sure your guests felt loved on.

    Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lydia grace11:31 AM

    Definitely, a Podso creation..How very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a delightful looking meal. I wish we had a screened porch. we don't eat outside very much because of the mosquitoes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That tart was beautiful!!! I could almost taste it looking at the pictures. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your table is just beautiful! That tart is so pretty! I've never made roasted potatoe salad but it sounds really really good!

    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, it all looks so good. You could give them a run for their money on the Fo*d Network...

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...