Friday, May 29, 2009

i took a vow

Some things just stick with you. I remember the first lecture in nursing school. It was about contamination––a black and white film. Everything carelessly contaminated became red. I still think about it when I work. I also have not forgotten a vow I took years ago at a women's meeting. The fire department did a presentation on infant burns. We saw slide after slide of tiny charred babies--from hands or feet to major portions of their bodies.  Such burns are easily avoided. Most occurred from spilling a hot drink. How many times, while holding a baby, are we tempted to pick up our cup of tea or coffee? We just  never know when a child is going to make a fast move. Do we think we have steady hands when a baby is wiggling? Just a dollop of a coffee spill on a wee one can be a significant percentage of his or her body. 

Not a pleasant subject? It made its impact and I've kept my vow and  haven't held a baby with a hot drink since. If this makes you think twice about sipping your drink while holding a baby, then it's worth my time writing!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never thought about this. Really good things to think about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia grace6:52 PM

    Good reminder to us grandmas...

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...