Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Fleas?


Corrie ten Boom's book  The Hiding Place is worth a second or third read. Just to remind ourselves. And if you haven't read it, let me tell you about a part that impacted me. When Corrie and her sister, Betsey, were in a Nazi concentration camp (Ravensbruck), the conditions were dreadful, of course. Not only were they cold, hungry, dirty, and in way too overcrowded conditions, they were also infested by fleas. They had managed to snuggle in a Bible, and as they read it, they realized that they should be thankful for all things. When Betsey decided that meant to thank God for the fleas, Corrie had a problem with that and found it very difficult to do.

Eventually she gave in and joined her sister in thanking God for this miserable part of their lives. But it was amazing to see what God had planned about the fleas. Apparently the guards didn't like fleas either. So they stayed away from the barracks that the women were in. Therefore the women had a lot more freedom––freedom from assault, and freedom to cluster together to study the Bible and to pray. Yes, in the heart of a Nazi concentration camp.

I too find it difficult to give thanks for the hard things, albeit nothing quite so drastic. But so often God eventually allows me to see through the hard things and find the good.

14 comments:

  1. I've questioned God's sense of humor in some of his creations (gnats in Charleston, for instance) but there is a purpose for everything if we choose to look for that purpose.

    Wishing you a happy Thanksgiving with your lovely multi-generational family.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story has always amazed me. And taught me that God has a plan for us even when we can't see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you, for this post today, Dotsie. Just what I needed. I hope you and yours enjoy a wonderful Thanksgiving... and we will give thanks in ALL things. Blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had and read that book back when it first came out. It is a beautiful story of faith and hope amidst terrible times. Thanks for the reminder to be thankful for the 'fleas' in our lives. Blessings to you and a very happy and blessed thanksgiving too! Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've forgotten about that part...what a great testimony of the Lord's purpose.
    Have a sweet time of giving thanks...
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Podso
    God does have everything happen for a reason, even if fleas would be hard to understand. However, they did save those women some of their dignity.
    Happy Thanksgiving - hope you get to spend time with the little ones.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dotsie, I zipped past this post to the next one to leave another note! Still running in a frenzied pace... even with my mouse! LOL! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is such a wonderful book, it gave me a different perspective on life.
    We have so much to be thankful for, here in North America.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting you mention this book...lately I've been thinking I might like to read it again. The last time was over 30 years ago. Obviously I've forgotten much of it as I did not remember the flea incident.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's the challenge, isn't it? Thank you for the reminder - it came just as I need it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous11:57 AM

    My great-grandmother used to say 'everything will turn out for the best'. I remember thinking -everything? And now I understand. Yes. Everything.
    I will keep my eyes open for this book, Dotsie.
    Have a lovely weekend,
    ~ Zuzu

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you had a happy Thanksgiving! Sorry I haven't contacted you about your win. I'll be in touch with you when things settle down next week.
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent book! I also felt the same way about the movie "Life is Beautiful" Even in the most dire circumstances, prayer, love, and dwelling on the positive can help see us through.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know some people who are like fleas. :) It is a hard lesson to learn, but life is so much easier when we do realize that every circumstance, every person and everything has a purpose. Happy holiday weekend wishes to you and yours, Tammy

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...