Friday, August 19, 2011

a new perch ... the mantle story

A couple of months ago I sought some advice from you all about what to do with our fireplace.
I was amazed at the emotive responses. It was about 50/50--paint the brick and
DO NOT PAINT the brick! But overall the responses were to "get rid of the brass" and bring back a mantle.
Sometimes it just helps to have fresh eyes look at your dilemma.
One sweet blogging friend even did some research and sent us this photo 
 which became our "inspiration photo." 
It sort of put it together for us. Thanks Honora!
So the Gardener and I started to have some fun exploring what to do. 
 We had the vision for a surround mantle and began to do research. 
Hmmm ... kinda pricey, even with a kit from a big box hardware store.
Suddenly we were seeing fireplace mantles everywhere --- antique shops, consignment shops, 
Craig's list... but none were quite the thing or were too costly...
... until this one showed up on Craig's list for $40. We let it "sit" for awhile but finally connected and found it was still available. 
It had been torn out of a 90-year-old mansion in a pricey area of town, and was a bit worse for wear, but we could see the potential.
Here she is in her former glory ... taken out to make room for a stone wall surround.
Home she came to sit while we thought about her, had a new grandson, and did some other important things.
We put a call into a local handyman. He loves this kind of work especially.
He glued on the old stray bits of trim that came with it, added some of his own and put on a new top. 
He transformed her into a stately lady ready for paint. You notice here we boldly removed the brass 
without a clue how we would replace it. 
We were amazed at the size of the opening. 
But, when we were meandering through some delightful 
antique shops just across the southern border of our state, 
the Gardener spotted something plopped in a back corner. What an eye he has! 
There was my dream fireplace screen --all in black and just like the one by the fireplace in my childhood home. 
How very cool, and how very cheap it was! Perfect fit!
It will be fun to decorate this per the "whims" that come along. I've had a lot of fun going back and forth with a friend in Florida 
who has an amazing eye for decorating. For instance, she suggested lowering my mother's Charleston cross stitch just an inch and a half. 
It made a big difference. (You can see an example of her art on the bottom right of my sidebar.)
It's been a fun project, we now have a new story about our house, and most of all, we are grateful!
And thanks to all of you for your helpful comments!
Connecting to My Romantic Home and Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday.

34 comments:

  1. Oh I LOVE it!!!! It's so beautiful and the fact that it's a "hand - me down" makes it even more special. I love found treasures!

    Enjoy the beauty and the memories that it evokes!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I haven't given up on mine yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I approve! How nice to find a beautiful mantle that has most likely been enjoyed the many. I also like the entirely black fireplace screen. I need to look for a new one. We still use the black screen that was here when we moved into the house almost 25 years ago!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dotsie...

    Ohhh, the new mantel is perfect for your fireplace, my friend! And...I love that it has a history behind it...that makes it even better! I always stand amazed at the transformations...the before's and after's. You did GOOD!!! Taking out the brass insert made a huge difference, Dotsie! I love the look of an open fireplaace. I also think the your new mantel...the "paneled" design of it...really makes your chair rail and panels on the wall...POP! Beautiful!!! So happy that you found the perfect fire screen too! Girl, you really will have fun decorating that mantel....love how you accessorized it now! I'm just tickled pink for you, sweet friend! Thank you for sharing your new mantel with us...this was such a treat!

    Love ya,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all came out so beautiful! I'm happy for you! :-) A real labor of love!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow! I love it! It turned out so beautifully and is such a perfect fit. And it's an antique too! You'll have so much fun decorating the mantel now. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is SO nice. That is a great find and is perfect for your fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mantle and screen look perfect-good job!

    I am in awe of your $5.teapot too-the gardener does have a great eye.

    Have a good weekend,
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Podso,
    This is just BEAUTIFUL! You and your husband have done an amazing job and now it is such an eye-catching fireplace. This was the perfect answer in my opinion. Your brick is very pretty, if mine looked like that I would not be wanting to get rid of it.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I love it! Beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suits you perfectly, Dotsie! I love it! I know it makes you smile every time you walk into the room. Well done. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is absolutely beautiful! Isn't it amazing how much difference these small changes can make? We put up a mantle last winter and I can wait for Christmas this year! Our first Christmas with a "proper" place to hang the stockings! Blessings~~Shine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, it is fabulous! You have a beautiful mantel now, I'm so glad you did this, it is fabulous! What an inspiration for my daughter's fire place that has no mantel and the white's so perfect, clear and elegant! Thanks for sharing it with us, it's been a treat! Have a great weekend. FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  14. Podso,
    Exquisite!!! Sometimes letting a new idea "rest" allows our senses to accept the vision of what is before us!The Gardener has a great eye for detail!!! Thank you for sharing this transformation and it's story with us!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the transformation! This is exactly what I want done to my fireplace! Perfect!
    -Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just love the changes you made. That mantel just makse the wall pop. I have always love the look of old brick, I think it looks perfect just the way it is. That is coming from a PAINT almost everything in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  17. It is absolutely beautiful and so gracious looking. I love how you have decorated...very simple and elegant. So glad you did not paint the bricks too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is the perfect solution! I LOVE how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is a HUGE improvement! SOOOOOO beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Podso
    I like the new look of your fireplace and I agree, a mantle is a must-have.
    I foresee romantic times by the fire this autumn.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks so beautiful and gives your fireplace character and charm. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It looks fantastic! I love every detail! Very nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks wonderful! I like how you left the brick and added the white mantel. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That made an amazing difference. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks great! We both had the same idea about adding the mantel.

    Jocelyn @
    http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a world of difference this mantel surround has made...and now your fireplace has a story. Don't you think that everything needs a story?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I like the new look very much, this is just the sort of project my husband enjoys.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That is a major change...are you lovin' it?!! You will have so much fun changing it around for the seasons...it turned out just beautifully!
    Rene

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous3:39 PM

    Wow, that looks great! I love the the black screen with the beautiful old mantel.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love it! You did such a beautiful job of the entire fireplace - and how wonderful that you were able to find exactly the right screen.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your new mantle and the story behind it.
    Love from the netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a great job. You guys were gutsy!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...