Thursday, October 10, 2013

off the wall

It's easy for me to fall in love with a dish and now I have again. The thoughtful gardener found a set of six of these Churchill dishes with cups and saucers at GW for a song. Just a pure melody that was so cheap I can't bear to pay what  eb*y or Cr*igs is asking for the two more I now wish I had. 
So when eight friends gathered around our table the other night I scrounged around for 
two more blue and white plates. I liked the orange and blue together --- best I could do for autumn.
I found two on the wall. That night I played a little game seeing if anyone could find 
"something" wrong about the table.  The things they came up with almost gave me a complex. 
Like "one side of the table is higher than the other." ...  Huh?
This sweet girl who came down off my kitchen wall was the one they almost didn't notice.
We really did play a game though. I named it 20 questions. Yes I wrote them. We passed 
them in a little bowl around and around the table until all were answered. No one 
seemed to want to quit.  Questions that ever so subtly dug into our lives a wee bit 
and swung the conversation to all sorts of places, and oh did we laugh. 
Some were downright silly.  
I love this little butter dish by the way. In the lower level you put some water or a 
small ice cube. It keeps the butter firm. The small white inset is where the butter sits.
And see the quirky butter knife, which I have sitting 
incorrectly in the photo. Cleverly made.

Linking to  Between Naps on the Porch's Tablescape Thursdays.

16 comments:

  1. I love how thoughtful the Gardener is. And how pretty you can make a table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely table and the orange is just the right accent. The game sounds so fun. Was coming up with the questions hard?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh there's so much to notice! What a fun time for you and your guests, though the whacky observations would have surely given me a complex, too.☺ Love your butter dish...have not seen one in that construction.(Wonderful butter knife so very cleverly made.) The blue and orange go so beautifully together...you created a delightful tablescape, even if you did have to take plates from the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your table in blue and orange. I think these two colours compliment each other beautifully. I probably wouldn't have noticed the 2 odd plates on the table. How nice that your Gardener found the 6 piece setting for you. That sounds like a fun game to play. I must remember that some time when I have a larger group here. I love your butter dish and haven't seen one like that before. I have seen that style of butter knife though and thought I had one here somewhere. Hmmm. I'm sure we had one at home. Beautifully done, Dotsie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful husband, and you always set such a pretty table, no matter what you use. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The table is lovely Dotsie, and the plate from the wall blends in well. Sounds like a fun time around the table and I'm sure we'd all like to know the questions you put in the bowl.
    My butter bell works in the same way except the butter hangs upside down over the seal of water. The butter knife might look odd but I'm sure works better than the flat ones like I have.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love dishes and these are beautiful! What a thoughtful gardener your husband is!

    Great idea to use those other blue and white dishes! Your game sounds fun as well!

    Lovely table!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. A beautiful and very welcoming table! Anyone would find joy sitting at your beautiful table setting :)

    Have a lovely day! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use those dishes for my every day ware. When Dax and Petra moved out of state and took my heart with them. One morning my son called me and asked me to send two plates and spoons..Please it would make their breakfast an easier time They missed their plates from Nana's house.
    Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are fabulous! I hope you can find some more I will keep an eye out for you too.
    I love that butter knife!!!! We keep our butter in a butter bell jar. Love those!!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love orange with blue, such a lovely combo and your table is gorgeous Podso. I too collect blue and White transferware and have 12 dinner plates, 7 soup bowls and 7 salad plates, a few like your Liberty Hall...so far. Your butter dish is very pretty too. Beautiful, my friend.
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  12. one of the prettiest color combinations and table settings I've seen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love a mismatched table - LOL. Seems cozy to me. I love blue and white dishes:)

    Your game sounds fun!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your table is beautiful - blue and white match any time of the year. I'd be interested in hearing some of the questions you asked. Such fun times around the table you have!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Do you loan this gardener out? I could use one that knows a bargain in plates. The plates the gardener found are beautiful. The blue looks beautiful with the orange. A very pleasant combination of colors. I have a set upstairs. Unfortunately they are in a box waiting to get unpacked. I think I better get in gear and get my blue plates unpacked. Have a wonderful Sunday.
    ....Candy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have a few blue and white plates stuck in a cupboard. I think I need to begin using them. You reach a point in your life when you wonder what you are saving things for.

    I don't know if I would have the nerve to ask what was off at the table. But, questions that get us thinking are so much fun.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...