Saturday, March 23, 2013

the little bath that could







It all started with a rock. Our bathroom transformation
began when our eldest son gave us a piece of leftover granite
for our little "powder room."





The wallpaper was probably 30 years old at least
and didn't go well at all with the granite. This
time I hired someone to remove the wall paper
since I knew it was put on unprimed or unsized
walls and would need repair.




When the work was going on, there were as many
as five men inside that tiny bathroom sanding
and spackling and sweating. I stayed far away.



It didn't take long for me to realize that the reason the previous mirror was not centered was because of where the old mirrored medicine cabinet was located, undoubtedly due to a stud issue. I decided we better do things right, so back come the men to remove the cabinet and rebuild that part of the wall.



When it came time to paint I thrifted by using left-over from painting Eldest's bathroom in his house, and a darker color for the bottom half, both matching the beauty of the granite.


Then came the "star" of the show--a very old Dutch cut out picture from my great-grandparents (above). The colors were perfect.


There's something here on my "to-do" list ...
maybe you can see what remains to be done.  I should run an observation contest.

















I also found a good color match for
other wall by bringing a very favorite
painting from another room. It's such
fun to pull things together from around
the house.

















Lastly, a touch of turquoise ... just a pop will
do to bring a smile. Seems like I'm finding
lots of places around the house for this color.






23 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:02 PM

    It came out great....and the turquoise towel is like frosting! Small room but a big project done so beautifully!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out so pretty, Dotsie!! I love the paint colors with the granite and your pictures and the aqua towel -- definitely a great update. Is the project you refer to repairing the holes from your previous toilet paper holder? :)

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the turquoise with your new granite and paint choices...looks GREAT!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the granite very much - and the old picture is wonderful. I have an old gingerbread mold of that very scene.
    Is it the toilet paper roll holder?

    ReplyDelete
  5. A little touch of turquoise/aqua can always make me smile!! Filling in the holes from the old TP holder? ;)

    Your bath redo looks GREAT, Dotsie! Love that piece of granite. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks really pretty Dotsie. I like the little Dutch painting and the paint colour etc. The granite counter really stands out and it was a good idea to remove the mirrored medicine cabinet. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh drat! Denise beat me to saying "repair the holes"!!
    Nice redo. I'm inspired but have no impetus to get started.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  8. A nice makeover Dotsie. The look is updated and I like the colours you painted the walls.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful ~ such a big difference. Absolutely love the Dutch print, and the color pop. I spied the fix too (: but only because you mentioned it. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you mean by getting far away when the men are at work! Your bath turned out lovely! The granite is beautiful, I love the painting and the turquoise is a great addition! Don't you just love a finished room?!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice! Love all of the components of your redo :)

    Seems a few of us noticed the nail holes to be filled although I didn't notice until you mentioned something.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very classy. You do have such good taste. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It turned out very lovely. I like the colors.
    Smiles, Dottie

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have done a beautiful job with this bathroom update! The cut out picture is fabulous!

    Don't you love the chain of events prompted by the "free" piece of granite? ~smile~ Of course, you got a lovely powder room out of the process, so it's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks very nice! it's not every day that someone brings you a hunk of granite! :-)

    Love the turquoise. I'm becoming very fond of pale turquoise and pale peach - although you'll hardly find any in my house. That's because I'm gathering all this inspiration first!

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks wonderful...and since my son is home builder I know the whole process...great job, enjoy!!

    The picture is priceless

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great transformation! I especially like the Dutch Cut picture and that pop of turquoise. The granite looks great with the paint colours you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Podso,
    Gorgeous powder room transformation, dear friend!!!
    All this began with a rock...and it is an elegant piece of grantite!!! Love the choice of artwork and hue for the bath linens.
    Unless your needed change is the toilet paper holder...I have no clue!!! Everything looks amazing to me!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks great and better to have it done right then rigged - we have found so many rugged things here - ugh!

    I saw the little holes in the vanity but only because I tried to find the to do list:)

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your little bathroom looks fabulous in it's new fixtures and new coat of paint. The only thing I see left to do is fill the holes from the old toilet roll holder.
    The old Dutch picture is very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A very pretty transformation, Dotsie! The granite sink looks so nice and I like the color combinations you chose -- very warm and SW in style. I need to do work in a few bathrooms here but it will have to wait until I tackle a long list of other renovations :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I saw that first photo I knew right away it is Dutch. The men are carrying cheese on the cheesemarket in Alkmaar. I must see if I have a present photo as we were there two years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous8:49 PM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...