Wednesday, July 11, 2012

stretched

 As I lay on the stretcher, my surgeon stopped by to say hello and give me a "here we go." A scrub cap was jauntily perched on his head, and his blue scrubs were partially covered by a bright yellow rubber apron. He held two bottles of Coke and showed off his way of using the two bottles against each other to pop the lids off. A cool spray hit my face from the fizz.

When we returned to Africa for a summer, emergency surgery was not in our plans. But here I was ... my appendix apparently was acting up. Since I needed a hysterectomy, I asked him to add that to the surgery. "Two for one, or something like that." Only one recovery. But definitely faith-stretching.

There is a whole lot more to this story that I won't go into, but top in my memory is the word "peace." I was not too sick to be fearful of surgery in a small African (city) clinic ... not knowing what to expect or how my recovery would go. We had knocked on the door of the American embassy late the night before and "dashed" someone a case of coke to type and cross match my blood so we could line up potential donors if I needed blood. An older nurse among our colleagues there was going to assist the surgeon, and watch out for me afterwards. We were as ready as we could be in a rush. To this day I remember so very clearly the peace that filled me as they wheeled me under the big lights in a sterile-looking "operating theatre." I had the greatest sense of my heavenly Father carrying me in His arms to my surgery. And staying the whole time.

This week marks 25 years since that momentous experience. Tears still come when I think about the peace I felt. I often share it with friends when they go for surgery. It was tangible. It was real. It was truth.

20 comments:

  1. Of course God was with you. No need to worry.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your Faith is truly inspiring. I had a hysterectomy 12 years ago, and I was nervous enough right here in the good ol' USA!!!
    Hugs,
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is real. I can not begin to imagine what it would have been like. As Kris says above, I was nervous enough right here in the USA and that was about nearly twenty years ago.

    You write so "in the moment" that I thought this had just happened for a while. And you wrote so descriptively that I almost felt that spritz of coke on my face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, nervous here from Canada...the peace you felt obviously meant you were prepared for what was to be. Truthfully Dotsie, I bring myself to peace with prayer and can understand the state of mind one can reach before such an ordeal. The medical staff at the hospital looked after you well for you to remember the experience so positively.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  5. These kind of experiences strengthen faith even years later. So glad for God's peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having had surgery four times in my life I know somewhat of this experience you that felt, Dotsie. When we are in that position, no matter where it takes place, we have surrender oursleves to staff and to God!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't imagine having surgery in a different country even today! That must have been a wild experience.
    Penny
    p.s. I bought my confit pot at Windwood Antiques in Blowing Rock and they had 3 more :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing that special milestone in your life. I have had moments in my life when I have felt God's peace in a situation and it is real. You can feel it! Blessings, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - I was scared to death when I went for my hyster 6yrs ago. Not for me if, I died I knew where I was going, but for our sons. Just nerves..

    Glad that you were at peace.

    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what you're saying, I have experienced the very same thing. "Great peace have they that love thy law, and nothing shall offend them", always goes through my mind. It's the "peace that passes understanding", we are so blessed the know the one and only true and living God who loves His children so very, very much that He meets our every need. And peace is definitely needed when going into surgery, especially in Africa, I would think!
    I would love to hear more of your story one day, in person would be nice. :)
    Hugs. Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Podso thanks for sharing your story. It sure is nice to feel that peace during frightful events in our lives. I believe it's God giving us that strength that we need.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have felt that same peace.
    Later, when my doctor commented on m lack of fear, lack of awareness of pain, I could only think of that overwhelming calm and trust that had enveloped me.
    What an experience that must have been for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am shouting AMEN, what an awesome God we serve. He is the surgeon and His peace passes all understand.

    My faith jumped this morning...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. Podso,
    Ah~h~h...the "peace" that comes from feeling God's love to care and watch over us when we are totally helpless! Yes! I've been there, dear friend. Not in a foreign country...but far, far from home. Thank you for sharing with us and those who need reassurance and comforting in trying times!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gives me goosebumps, Dotsie. I know the peace you write of... Wouldn't it be wonderful to feel it that way everyday... but, just remembering gives me assurance. Your writing is beautiful. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love to hear your Africa stories. So encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a story! You have peace... that is more precious than almost anything else! In His hands we can be okay even when the circumstances are rocky!
    Beautiful reminder!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a precious testimony of God's constant loving care for us. I remember when I had my Hyst. I was very nervous...afterward all I could think of was that I experienced Psalm 23. He led me beside the still waters....

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an encouraging story! Our heavenly Father is so compassionate to grant us peace in situations where fear would normally reign. Thank you for sharing your story! ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...