Tuesday, July 24, 2012

fit for a queen

I just got in from a family wedding out of town. Nothing could be more refreshing today than to spend a couple of hours catching up with friends as they celebrated the beginning of the "countdown to my birth day." (aside: sometimes I think birth days should be celebrated by the mothers; one time I even sent a card to my mom in that regard.) One friend, called Robin on this blog, had just returned from five weeks mostly in England and brought some Stuff (capital "S").


We ate very special, oversized cookies (made to be broken into perfect pie-shaped pieces) in a beautiful tin celebrating the queen's jubilee. We each had a royal napkin. And Robin remembered us all with a treat of Marks and Spencer organic fair trade tea.

I even calorie-splurged with a cold dark chocolate drink on this over 100 degree day ... I think my first of such deliciousness! (thanks LG!) I felt sort of like a queen. But most of all, it was just such a treat to be with dear friends. It's so much fun to grow older together.

18 comments:

  1. What nice treats! Of course, the best treat of all is to spend time with old friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your friends sound delightful....and how sweet of Robin to bring back some of England for you all. And I have often thought the same as you ....Mother's should get all the gifts on our birthdays. After all! How can we say thanks...smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, those are some very special treats to enjoy together. Sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely gift of friendship! The giant cookie looks like butter shortbread. Time with old friends is precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, the Royal wedding last year -- the Queen's Jubilee this!

    Lovely gifts all . . . I envy those tins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like such a lot of fun - time with good friends, celebrating, laughing, eating and drinking. So....when is the big day?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a nice friend!!!
    When is your day of birth??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Podso,
    What a treasured memory of your special day,"Queen Dotsie"! Happy birthday, dear friend!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my. Such loveliness. So glad you had such a refreshing time. It does a heart good, doesn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep, lifelong friends are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday!

    These all look like wonderful treats! Tea and biscuits are such nice gifts to bring home from England. I am spending time with my grandsons this week and having so much fun with them although they wore me out so much I slept 8 hours last night ... The first time I've done that in years!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's really nice to share good things with friends. I was very interested to see what is inside that tin. I have seen those tins in Marks and SPencer and they're so nice I've been tempted to buy just to see what's in them. But like you I am trying to cut down the calories so have resisted.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful gifts, Dotsie.

    I just read your previous post. Loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like a delightful weekend... and a birthday in the works!!

    I sent flowers to my mom once on my birthday with a thank you note for having me... ;)

    blessings and hugs and a special wish for that special day ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Was hoping you posted the photos!
    You still have your birthDAY coming next week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Podso, that cookie looks scumptious! It looks like you had a grand time. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy almost birthday to you! I imagine that big cookie is shortbread. My favorite! And I love that tea from Marks & Spencer -- I even love the packaging it comes in. :) Definitely looks like you had a lovely time with friends. Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nothing like "old friends time"....glad you had your cool chocolate drink and enjoyed it and that amazing cookie.
    Glad you had a nice time.:)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...