Wednesday, June 13, 2012

thinking about fathers



As we approach Father's Day, I, of course, am thinking of my father, now in heaven. He's pictured here with his firstborn daughter. Look at the joy in his eyes. He was separated from her the first month of her life. The night she was born, he hopped on an overnight train to arrive in Chicago early Sunday morning, where he preached his very first sermon in his new church. I'm not sure if my sister came late or early, but the timing of her arrival was interesting, I can't imagine the stress this young minister must have been under--to go through labor and delivery with his beloved wife, meet his new baby, and then begin his career the next morning 800 miles away! A month later, when baby and mother had gotten settled in their new relationship, my father proudly brought them, again by train, to their new life. There was no parsonage. That first year they lived with different families in the church. Times were sure different then. My father always worked hard, spent little, and gave sacrificially. Rather than spending anything he inherited, he put it to work to make more. He never made a great salary and did not have a "retirement package." But as a result of his hard work, my mother is provided for as she lives into her nineties. As the Gardener and I care for my mother, we are grateful to my dad for his wisdom in thinking about the future. What an example he continues to be for us! 

19 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture!!! Your father must have been a very hard worker indeed!!
    Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. ( I must say, I was a child bride!! )
    ; ) Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet post about your Dad, he sounded like a special man. Also loved your hydrangea in the previous post so pretty, mine are not blooming yet. Thanks for sharing, Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Father's are special aren't they and your Dad certainly is at the top! It's a great picture too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A special post for an obviously special father. He sounds like the ministers I grew up knowing and loving.
    They were hard workers and always there for their flock. They did not have a large staff. I remember, especially, Dr. Denson at Melrose Baptist Church. He had married my parents. He also frequently mowed the grass around the church when money was tight. What I remember most was his warm and caring smile.

    Hope you are feeling better.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pastors do it all now don't they?!

    I can not imagine living that life...moving around from parishioner to parishioner for the first year. It couldn't have been easy for your mother. What does she have to say about it now?

    He certainly does look proud of his little girl and like a happy and content man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post to honour your father. An honorable man indeed. Hugs, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very sweet photo ~ I love the expression on your dad's face! What a dear man!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can see where so many of your wonderful qualities came from... growing up being his Podso. I know you miss him. blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sweet memories of a wonderful father. I love that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a proud, young father he was. You've written such a lovely tribute to your wise and caring father.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a wonderful tribute to your father, Dotsie. He sounds like a very pious and loving man.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an inspiring post! and..what a special Father. I can't imagine living around with church families. What grace that must have taken for both of your parents. And to be up all night going thru labor & delivery and go preach in the morning....wow. It is humbling just to read of. How did they do it....

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful photo...he looks so happy with a baby in his arms.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Podso,
    Two common words for our fathers...sacrifice and wisdom!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a wonderful photo - yes your Dad must have had a lot of conflicting emotions back then. I wish you fond memories of times spent with you Dad - Enjoy the time with your Mum!

    xo
    Leann

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your handsome dad looks so proud of his little baby daughter.
    Your dad sounds a lot like mine, a Pastor/dad that you can be proud of.
    Have a wonderful weekend.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful Podso. You are fortunate to have had such a loving father figure. My dad was in Vietnam when I was born. Now he doesn't speak to me at all. He married a psycho woman that has totally messed him up but he thinks she is his savior. C'est la vie. :) Wishing you a wonderful weekend. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sarah W6:47 AM

    Your dad was a wonderful man! Always seemed so happy and caring, from what I remember. So glad we will see them again one day.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A very smart man. Today, so many spend it as fast as they make it, or CHARGE! My dad always said don't buy it if you can't pay for it now!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...