Monday, June 20, 2011

rhondi's porch party


It's been lots of fun to get to know Rhondi, first through blogging and then to learn that we only live a couple of miles apart. And now we are even in the same book club! I still remember her first "porch party"--or at least the first one that I took part in.

I have enjoyed fixing up our back porch, now four summers old, with odds and ends found here and there. Some from GW, Salvation Army, an old lake house, friends' cast-offs ,Craig's List and the old green bench which has been in the family for over 60 years and of course painted many times over!

Even in the intense heat of the south, we can enjoy the porch in the mornings and the evenings. And when we share a meal with friends, they always seem to linger longer than when we eat inside. There is such romance in a warm summer evening! 






 My very most favorite chair, given to me by a friend who was
getting rid of it.  It's made an appearance on my blog more than a few times.

  
    
 My latest creation is a skirt for a new Good Will lampshade. 
The old lampshade got so dirty out on the porch, I decided to cut up a pillowcase 
(I'm sure I saw the idea on some blog) and that way I can remove it for washing.
 It needed a bow to jazz it up.
Last but not least, a table runner designed and quilted by my good friend Susannah
 who happened to already know Rhondi, a fellow-quilter!

Most of all I do not take lightly the gift of our porch. I have wanted one for years as
my childhood home had a wonderful screen back porch. 

I am grateful every day.

See Rhondi's Rose Colored Glasses for more wonderful porches!

21 comments:

  1. Your porch looks so welcoming.
    You and Rhondi in the same book club?....lucky ducks, both of you!..two of my favorite bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your porch. So comfy looking. The lampshade redo is a great idea. Turned out very well. Yes, I do think we have the same pillows. I would say you have very good taste. LOL. Enjoy the porch this summer.
    Ginger :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your porch is so pretty. I just adore the table runner. It is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your porch looks very inviting....love the table runner and your yellow chair.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun to be in the same book club.

    You have a very comfy looking porch.
    Love your yellow chair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't think Rhondi was blogging anymore. Last I knew she was taking an extended break. Your porch is fantastic! I would certainly be there each and every day. Enjoy! Best wishes, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your lampshade redo! What a sweet yellow chair~ love the rooster!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Romance is the perfect word. I would so enjoy sitting on that porch with you for a cup of coffee or a nice iced tea! It is nice to have found a blogger friend near by and fun that she already knew one of your other friends (who made a beautiful table runner!). Your lampshade is great!! I love that you can take it off and wash it, too! Enjoy a moment out there for me! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your porch. It is so relaxing and comfortable and filled with pretty things. The evening we had book club out there was wonderful! I'm glad we found each other in blogland.
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your porch is beautiful! It looks to be larger than mine, but still has the same laid back, "this is where we relax and enjoy life" feel. I love it. Your green bench is so pretty. Perhaps I will join this party too, if I can.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your screened porch, especially the green bench and the cute yellow chair! It looks like a great place to relax and enjoy the summer. Happy Summer to you! Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your porch looks very warm and welcoming. I love the quilt!..Christine

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've alwaays wanted a big front porch, amd I'm still waiting for one!
    I love yours and your green rocker is may favorite as it looks so comfortable. I also love your quilt table runner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. There is really no space quite like that space we call our porch... yours is beautiful! It looks much loved and well used! Happy Summer Porch Days! Dixie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your porch! All the green looks great!
    I am your newest follower...I hope you will follow me too!
    This is my first time participating in Ms. Rhondi's Porch Party...I hope you will swing by my blog to visit my porch! Fresh ice cold lemonade will be waiting on you! :-)

    ~~~rhonda ~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  16. And grateful you should be. We don't have a porch on our cape cod. I love looking at the beauty you porch people create for summer!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  17. YOur porch is a wonderful space to live, eat and read in! YOu would find me in your delightful wicker chair. It looks so comfortable!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  18. I, too, have lovely memories of summers on the front porch growing up. It was a big porch that wrapped around the front of the house to the side with a few big (well, I was small) wicker rockers and a settee. I loved to sit, read and wait for the popsicle man to come by.

    Your porch is wonderful!! You've added such nice touches and have given me a few ideas about cozying my own porch.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have a lovely porch and I like what you've done with it. Not many people in my neighborhood have front porches...I'm not sure why...guess it's not the style here. But I sure would love a great enclosed porch like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hello, I found your blog through your comment on my screened porch. I love your blog style. Love the photos, the quotes, the conversation. I am your newest follower.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love your inviting porch and especially your favorite chair! It is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...