Saturday, June 18, 2011

dad



Two years ago I scooped up the family pictures I had taped to my father's care center room walls and arranged them on a bulletin board. I trimmed it in blue and presented it to him for Father's Day. Little did I know a month later he would not be with us, and that he was already gravely ill with the sickness that would spiral him to death.

But that day the light in my father's eyes let me know his appreciation. With his fading, husky voice he would tell me names of those pictured, even though I know he would rather not speak at all––he was just humoring me. What a gift to us that, even as Alzheimer's robbed him of his fully functioning mind, Daddy never stopped recognizing his loved ones.

The bulletin board now hangs inside a utility room door in my mom's apartment. Not a bad place, really, for when she opens the door (which is often) she sees all of us greeting her at once. A full display of smiles, ready for showing off.

I miss my dad today. I miss his handsome smile, his wit and humor, his godly wisdom, and his refinement and gentleman-ly-ness. I miss the way he cared for my mom and always looked out for her. I miss him coming into my house and saying, "There's my book." He always found his childhood book, Little Men, on our bookcase, and would pull it out and read a page or two. My dad was able to pick up a book, read from the middle somewhere and always enjoy it!

Today the men in our church became a great choir of voices as they sang three great hymns together. What a magnificent sound. I can't help but think of my dad today, in heaven with his father and brothers, and his Heavenly Father. Maybe they also had a Father's Day Choir.


First posted on Father's Day 2007. Connecting to Chari's Sunday Reposts.

10 comments:

  1. The thought of the heavenly choir - beautiful.
    My dad is still with us, and your description of your father could have been written about mine.
    Beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry for the loss of your father. my dad has been gone for 16 years now and we miss him so much. What a great idea to have a male choir sing on Father's Day. Joni

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a handsome man! Such sweet memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dotsie,
    What a beautiful tribute to your Dad. My parents are both gone and I miss them terribly. I wanted to post his picture on Facebook and left the flash drive with the scans I did of family pictures in Florida!

    Have a wonderful week.

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've made me shed a couple of tiers remembering my dad, who died 15 years ago of a massive heart attack on the miocard, he left us without any previous getting ready, (if there's such thing) either! I still miss his liveliness, he's joy for life, he was always very cheery and loved his family and specially mom...you've done a beautiful tribute to your dear dad, but reminded me of mine, thank you darling and thanks for the lovely
    comments on my FD table. Lots of hugs to your men today and enjoy the day! FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Dotsie...

    How are you doing, dear friend? I hope that my note is finding you and your sweet family all doing well! I suspect that ya'll are doing a little "Father's Day" celebrating today!

    Thank you so much for sharing this sweet and endearing post about your Father with us for the Sunday Favorites party this week! It truly was a very sweet tribute to your dear Father! Oooh...isn't it wonderful to think that all of heaven may have stopped to sing a Happy Father's Day praise to the Heavenly Father? What an awesome thought!

    Warmest wishes, dear friend!
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  7. podso, i know he is smiling over you now... blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely tribute to your dad! Thanks for sharing your memories. :-) Blessings, Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dotsie!
    What a lovely post about your Dad. Mine left us in early Feb, and I am still not reconciled to it.

    How lucky we are, to have had such wonderful daddies.
    Cass

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...