Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Hands

IT IS ALL ABOUT THE HANDS. When I lived in Africa, there were times when I forgot my skin was white. I was so surrounded by Africans in my daily life that I would forget ... until I saw my hands, such as when I paid for food in the market. It would startle me just a bit.

So now along came the privilege to stand up with my niece at her marriage to wonderful Andres. Could I do it graciously and gracefully? For starters, as I started down the aisle feeling quite casual and confident on the arm of a young father of two, I caught my heel on the white runner. I recovered okay and probably no one but the wedding director and a few back row folks noticed. Secondly, I found it hard at my age to stand still for 35 minutes. I swayed and actually caught myself from falling over during the prayer, where upon I decided to unbow my head and keep my eyes open to maintain balance. But for the most part, I totally forgot I was the age of the rest of the wedding party's mothers ... and it all felt quite normal.

Until, that is, I saw my hands. Age spots, veins, wrinkles ... and remembered with a start that I was not all that young anymore. But I learned later that the Gardener asked around for the name of the lovely, mature bridesmatron, wanting to ask her out on a date. (What a guy!)

It all was great fun. And many wonderful memories were packaged up during all the festivities that went on during the wedding week.

Bonniface wrote me: "Glad you didn't fall over! My nephew did, as a teen, in my brother's wedding. The heat outside and no food helped with that fall. The wedding stopped for a moment and then went on ..."

Reposted on the fourth anniversary of this wedding. Happy Anniversary J and A !
See Chari's blog for more Sunday reposts!

13 comments:

  1. When I look at my hands now, I see my mother's hands, and sometimes it's a shock - but then, when I pass a store window and see myself walk by I'm always taken aback at how short I am. You'd think I might have become used to it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The older I get the more I see my mom in me. How nice that you were asked to stand up with your niece. Happy anniversary to J and A. Best wishes for a wonderful day. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess no matter how long we live, there is always something to startle or surprise us, even the fact that we are aging and we see our mothers in the mirror looking back at us! I'm glad life throws these little shocks our way...it's good to be alive. Life and memories both seem to become dearer and more meaningful too, with all the perspective of a few decades behind us. What a treasure to be asked to be a part of your niece's wedding...and I'm so glad you remained upright!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The changes in the past few years take me aback when I catch a glimpse of myself in an unexpected reflection... or look down at my hands.

    You captured that feeling perfectly. I love that you were a part of such a special occasion. I'm looking forward to hearing more about the current special occasion! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Podso, you are a peach! I love how you share life's ups and downs. I too have to watch I don't fall over at church when my eyes are shut and the prayer or invitation lasts a while.

    How wonderful your husband must be. Loved that part of your post...made me smile.

    And did I miss a post about you being in Africa? I'd love to hear more about that. Have a nice day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't always picture myself as I see myself in a mirror!
    When I go home each fall, I look for familiar faces from high school when I'm out and about. I always picture those faces as they were when we graduated!

    I like your "Gardener"!!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hands are my dad's...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:03 AM

    My hands tell me I'm 59, but my heart tells me something completely different. :)

    Lovely, lovely post, Dotsie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I DO love this post, Podso!

    You lived in Africa????? Oh please DO e-mail me back and tell me all about it.

    I went there for 6 weeks on a missions trip, and gave away my heart - - - but haven't been able to go back since.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS - - - I KNEW I loved you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Dotsie...

    My friend, I sooo enjoyed this sweet post! I really found it interesting...the story you told of when you were in Africa and how it started you when you would notice your hands. My hands definitely are showing my age. I remember the first brown spot that appeared on the back of my hand...eeeks! I fretted a bit and then remembered how much that I loved my Grandma's hands...they are looking much more like hers...these days!

    I love your beautiful photo of the roses, sweet friend! There are some really different but beautiful colors there! Ohh my...I'm so glad that you thought to open your eyes to keep your balance! I do the very same thing if I am standing with my eyes closed for very long! Hmmm...I'm thinking that is another "older age" thing! Hehe!

    Thank you so much for sharing this sweet post with us for the Sunday Favorites repost party this week, dear friend!

    Warmest Sunday wishes,
    Chari

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely post! My hands definitely show may age as I have many brown spots ..I call them freckles...lol...but they tell the story of being out in the sun enjoying life!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am beginning to think my hands look pretty rugged before I thought they should. Bending fingers and bulging veins. They have been hard workers for me but they aren't as youthful as I would like.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...