Saturday, August 09, 2008

not my corner grocery


I've know I've posted about Walm*rt before, and I don't mean to rant, but sometimes I just need to comment. I rushed over to this store at the "witching hour" of 5 p.m.––on a Friday no less. The traffic just to get near the store was atrocious.  I felt like I was self-inflicting some pain as I went forth to conquer the parking lot. Who possibly could have designed one where you had to enter one lane, literally going opposite the traffic and painted arrow, and then  swivel around to get to another lane going the right direction? As I attempted to twist and turn to find a parking spot in the treeless, sunbaked tarmac, I felt like I was in a two-thirds world country. Monday mornings the place is spotless, but on a Friday afternoon I stepped over squished soda cans, sputem, plastic bags flapping in the breeze, and passed by people of every ethnicity, size, and shape, as I made my way to the door. Upon entering I began some serious walking exercise to get the milk I need from the rear of the store.

Oh yes, and my shopping list was on the kitchen table back at home.

I think I must have prepared myself for the worse, for it wasn't all that bad. I rehearsed what I could remember from my list, and headed up and down the aisles. There wasn't even a line at the check out (which is the advantage of shopping at a busy time that time of day––all the cashiers are actually working at their check-out stations.)

Sailed on home. The shopping list was not waiting for me on the table, but I found it later somewhere else. And I hadn't forgotten a thing on it. Exhausting, isn't it? And not quite like the Wednesday once-a-week shopping my mother did at the corner grocery store!





2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:53 AM

    I try to avoid stores like that for that very reason. Very unsettling.

    Your experience rings too true, so that small store not far from our house is my home away from home.

    Take care, sweet thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4:41 PM

    Amen to your Wal-mart blog! I always end up exhausted after shopping there, having spent far more time and far more money than I intended upon entering the store! And ours has been all 're-done' so everything is in a different place now, and extremely confusing to the brain! I think of the evolution of WM stores just in our area: the first one I shopped at has long since closed, the second one, closer to home that I got accustomed to, closed a few years ago, and the 'new' one I had gotten used to, now considered 'older' has had the above mentioned remake. Then there is the really new one we pass on our way and from work. Let's see . . . which floor plan is that one? And then there are the Publixes . . . fortunately the two I shop at mostly are similar in floor plan, I think, one very old and redone, the other new. The problem with identical floor plans is . . . which one am I in now? I guess I will find out when I get outside . . . let's hope I can at least remember where I parked my car, which I for sure won't unless I intentionally focus on where it is, even usually with a backward glance enroute to store entrance, to fix it in my mind! (you touched a nerve!)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...