Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Knowing Its Own Mind

This may be one of my favorite posts of all times ... just because I love the colors on this house. Not that I'd have them on my own house, but I love that someone enjoys color enough to bravely do this. Here we go:

"Muddy colored walls are nothing but a blight. So are undecided colors that compromise ... [such as] blues that are neither sea, sky, nor good old cornflower. There should never be a doubt what your color has to say .... It may be chalk blue, watermelon pink, lemon yellow, grass green, chocolate brown, cafe au lait, warm gray––anything on earth you like, just as long as it knows its own mind."

So wrote Dorothy Draper (1889-1969)  in 1939, in her book Decorating is Fun! How to Be Your Own Decorator.

Hmm... what are the colors in my house saying?


5 comments:

  1. I assume that is a real house!
    Awesome and bold. I don't know
    if I could live with purple and green everyday that aren't in flowers!
    I find cooler colors soothing and
    peaceful to read a book within!
    Or a cup of tea. I'm not distracted!
    I do like Charleston and even red doors! Your house is very, very welcoming!

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's cool. There is a house not far away from me that is purple (eggplant) with dark green shutters.

    It doesn't look as fresh as it used to, but it still is refreshing to see.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I passed by this house in Andrews, NC when we were in the mountains. It is obviously still being rennovated; I wondered if they painted it purple JUST FOR FUN while they worked on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regarding your comment. I'll be on the HGTV show called "Rate My Space" sometime in the fall but I don't have a date yet. It's on Thurday's at 9:00 pm on HGTV. I'll announce it on my blog as soon as I know.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...