Thursday, June 19, 2008

"Gifts For My Girl"

For beauty, I would buy a gem for you from the earth's heart 
and a ring that is gold clear through 
and clothes the colors of flowers ...

I would cultivate in you a gentle spirit,
and curiosity,
and wonder in your eyes ...

For your mind, poems and plays,
words on the pages of a thousand books ...

For your spirit, mysteries and praise,
sureties and prayer ...

from Luci Shaw's poem,
a poet whose little daughters and sons I babysat for as a teenager,
sent to me in a wonderful card by Boniface. Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to fill in the blanks. It's actually a poem for Luci's daughter when she was 11 ~~~ so I took those lines for your sweet granddaughter!

    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...