Saturday, January 12, 2008

small moments in ordinary days


I'm giving an early second read to our Christmas cards this year. Sometimes I wait months. Maybe I'm just ready to get on with January. It's always a joy to read and absorb all the news a second time. ...One of my best friends in college and nursing school found my email address, wrote me the other day, and we reconnected after 18 years. So much to catch up on and what a great photo of her family! Our long emails back and forth have taken me back to another time. ... I fell the other day, face-down on the cement while rushing into a store. I'm still finding body parts hurting that I wasn't aware existed. Eldest son lectured me on my age, how I needed to think "old" a bit more, since I still act like I am young (proof: the neighborhood kids begged me to ride bikes with them). I smiled at his wisdom, but even more, his concern. ...The next day at work, God was gracious in giving me a manageable assignment, as my body was aching ... and for my messed up face, some explaining had to be done to my babies' parents. ... Since it's been raining and the sun is in full swing today, I hope to see Jack out across the street so we can look at our teeth collections (he has only one in his so far.) By the way, he told me that he and his sister were considering waiting until all their baby teeth were out, and putting them in a massive pile under their pillows, hoping for something like a million dollars from the tooth fairy. 

... Stopped by a friend's house yesterday on the way home from work after stopping at my mom's (she's the kind of friend you can drop in on unannounced.)  She had been out of town for weeks, and it was great to see her. Walking into her home was like entering a haven of rest. Calm, peaceful, a hot cup of tea already in the kettle ... good rest for a weary soul. ...My husband's basketball coach (now age 81 he tells us) loves to forward us emails. Usually they are funny and they always are just a reminder he is thinking of us and is alive and well. Today he sent us a picture of this ... wow did it fly me right back to my childhood! ...


...But most exciting, and not a small moment at all, was the phone call yesterday telling us that our grandbaby- in-the-womb is doing very, very well, and is a "she!" Now that is a change for this family of boys! We are excited and most of all, thankful to God!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, what a fun post to read! And especially the last paragraph. Congratulations! There's nothing like it.

    I fell flat on my face in David's backyard on one of my trips up there. When they saw me fall, they thought for sure I had broken my ankle or something. The worst was bending up my glasses and having blood come out of my mouth and nose. After a couple of day, I was as good as new (well, almost) As I said, I thank God for fat and the padding that it affords one.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...