Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Bread from Heaven


I came home pretty tired from a busy day at work. Winter weather is on the horizon, so babies have decided to be born. They were wheeled in the door almost non stop. So I was wearily thinking about what to make for supper. We had some left overs. Should I develop them into a major meal (sigh), or turn them into a big pot of soup? "If only I had some good bread to go with it, soup would be the ticket," I said to Spouse. Went on up to my little office in my ivory tower to check email. I figured somehow by the time I finished up, I would know what to do about supper. Just as I turned off the computer, the doorbell rang. It was Jack's mom from across the street, armed with a loaf of cool rise French bread (http://podso.blogspot.com/2007/12/very-cool-french-bread.html), JUST out of the oven (and some brownies on the side!) She had been baking!

The aroma of warm bread filled the house as I pulled out a pot and began the soup. Hmmm ... just right for a cold night with a storm in the air. And since I always make soup on "snow days" (should the snow or ice actually come), but will be at work tomorrow, Spouse will have his snow soup. For certainly there will be some leftovers. At least of soup!

Thank you, Lord, and thank you, "Jack Mommy" (as mothers are called in West Africa ---the oldest child's name attached to "mommy").

3 comments:

  1. In Haiti she would have been "MamanJack" What a nice gift on a cold day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:32 AM

    It's on days like today, I wish we were all nestled in the lodge our group use to go to. The fire would be blazing and coffee would be flowing..I do miss those times. I love snow days and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off, your site looks wonderful with the photos on the side/top and all. Wonderful.

    And last of all, the gift of the bread, etc. was much-needed, I can tell. Sure glad for you, and I can just smell it. Saved your recipe for the bread, and intend on making some myself!

    Love to you, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...