Friday, January 18, 2008

Bread and Milk


I needed groceries today so decided to adapt to the culture and join the bread and milk gang at the local grocery. You see, snow is predicted for tomorrow––yes, just after yesterday's light dusting (I heard a weather person say snow breeds more snow ...) And when that "s" word gets out, here in the sunny south there's a mad dash for "bread and milk" at the shops. Snow here does not usually last on the ground more than a few hours, so one can wonder why all this bread and milk is needed, but it's a fact. Just look at the shop shelves toward evening when a storm is predicted. Empty in the bread section, and the milk has gone missing.

I decided today just to enjoy the crowd and to check out what everyone had in their carts. I determined to make it a major shopping and so, apparently, did everyone else. Would I feel like corn chowder tomorrow? Or spaghetti at night? Or maybe pizza with a dvd ... I better be prepared for whatever. The lines were long as people unloaded their full grocery carts, but like most times when something like this is brewing, everyone was in good spirits and friendly. It made for an actually pleasant experience. And now for the snow. The sky looks like it and I'm ready. Snow is definitely an "event" here. I'm glad this time I'll be at home for the show.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:29 PM

    I made sure I have enough half-n-half and coffee....that pretty much sums up my shopping event..I do have soup and other snowy day foods...

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...