Friday, October 12, 2007

Gospel Pancakes


pancakes
Originally uploaded by podso
These pancakes are really oatmeal pancakes, or whole wheat pancakes, and I make them "blueberry pancakes." They are so popular by those who eat them, I have started calling them the "gospel pancakes" as they spread from one person to another; truely good news for pancake lovers in want of a healthy pancake. My aunt gave me the recipe and has made them ahead and frozen them (no more than two deep wrapped well for the freezer) and then warmed in the oven, or the batter can be made the night before. I like adding blueberries I've frozen, or dried blueberries. Or any fruit. They are great left over too! And no, this is not becoming a recipe blog. It's just with the weather finally cooling, there is more energy for cooking, and it's time for soup and hot, steamy cups of tea!

Oatmeal Pancakes
1 1/2 cups regular (or quick) oats
2 C buttermilk (or regular milk with a Tb of lemon)
2 eggs
2 Tb. canola oil
2 Tb. wheat germ
1/2 C whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
Optional: blueberries or other fruit pieces

Mix oats and buttermilk together in a large bowl and let stand. Beat eggs and add to mix. Add oil and wheat germ to mix. Sift together flour, soda, sugar, salt, and add to oatmeal mixture. Drop batter onto hot skilet grased with canola or pam.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recipes. I've never liked or eaten oatmeal, but I think I would like these. The soup sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...