Thursday, June 11, 2015

a second kiss

Well actually I never got a second kiss, but I could have. The Gardener was off to 
other parts of the world. I ask him again and another time and maybe a third or fourth time 
as he packs, "Do you have your passport?" "Yes, yes." 
Always a man full of patience with my repeats.

Friday afternoon rush hour traffic. I leave him at the airport door and my mind briefly 
flirts with the days past when I would go in and sit with him until boarding. Before 2001.


I'm on the expressway headed home. Traffic surrounds me as by now employees are flocking from the city with the weekend in mind.

My phone rings and I answer cautiously (I'm driving you know) 
and hear the Gardener's voice.

With passport safely tucked on his person, he tells me he has left something very important at home, crucial for his work. Can I make it home and back before the flight leaves? Bumper to bumper as my mind races about which route might be better. I breathe a frantic prayer and it almost seems like God parts a path through the steel on wheels.

How many times do we ask what we did before cell phones! I try to remember how things evolved the one time he actually did forget his passport. I must have known before I left him at the airport. That ended up being a frantic trip home and back and a begging of the next flight to LA, where he had a layover,  to carry his passport to him.

I feel more comfortable as I glance over now at the gray laptop on the seat beside me. We are on our way back and traffic is flowing. I make it just in time. He rushes to the car a little breathless with a face full of gratitude and relief. A tall man can't reach into a car across to the driver. "A kiss" I beg. Sorry no time to come around; there's a plane to catch. No second kiss. 
We touch hands through the open window and off he goes.

18 comments:

  1. What a sweet story! A story of love and patience and sacrifice. No second kiss, perhaps, but so much more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dotsie, your post today bought tears to my eyes. What a great story of love! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a patient and obliging wife Dotsie and of course these attributes are what contribute to a marriage of many years. I have led the way for my husband to construct a list before we travel which he follows to be sure the house is in order before leaving. He used to laugh at my daily or travel lists but with age (and wisdom?) has come to appreciate the validity of them.
    I hope you blew a kiss to your quickly retreating husband. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good spouse you are to make that rushed trip to home and back in time for the flight. Now maybe you can relax for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a precious story! I can feel the love and dedication through your words. I loved it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So wonderful! It's a joy to help our men, isn't it, even when it involves a frantic trip home and back again! Glad he got what he needed, and you did wonderful things for his heart.

    Second and third kiss, I'm thinking may be on tap when he gets home!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful. I was visualizing the whole thing, even in the car with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I followed and felt like I was with you too! Bless your heart, anxiety must have set in! You, being the bestest ever, helped your man out. True love shines through your entire story. Precious. Oh, and that second kiss, will come.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, bless his heart and yours, but he owes you lots of kisses on his return!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A very heartfelt post about your love and kindness for each other, Dot, and of course, wanting that last kiss. A hand squeeze means as much love, I know.

    I often think of our cell phones as devices that come through in keeping us in touch in the event of an illness or accident. And now I can also see how they can be tracking devices that save so many lives...right up there with Amber alerts. And...for situations like this which would have wreaked havoc on your husband's trip. Glad to FINALLY read something positive about this wonder.

    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  11. And through our city's traffic that parted.... a sweetness here and soon he will be home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What agood wife you are! I have been here catching up. Loved your post on home. I so agree.
    Love the new buffet you did in chalk paint!
    Missed ya.
    XO Kris

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe not a second kiss, but the gesture of love you showed meant a lot to him and he will carry that with him.

    What did we do before cell phones?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dotsie, what a beautiful post. Such an example of selfless love, and the appreciation you knew he felt even without that second kiss. The rewards of a long relationship. What a blessing it is!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Podso,
    Oh, how I adore reading about "everyday" life!!!
    Sometime it's "the touch" that conveys the greatest emotions!!!
    Thanks for sharing!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this post, Dotsie! It's so interesting that you wrote about sitting with your husband in the waiting area -- before 2001. I really miss being able to do that. I used to sit with Hal until he had boarded the plane, and Will and I used to stand at the window and watch the plane taxi and take off. In large ways and small, September 11th really changed everything.

    I always drive Hal to the airport when he's traveling. Years ago, he flew out of Charlotte several times, and boy that was some serious traffic. You did well to get home and then back to the airport in time. This is a sweet story, and I'm so glad you shared with us. :)

    Hugs to you,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh... I am so glad you made it. Someone was watching over you. What sweet example of true love... Great story!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...