Sunday, March 22, 2015

mowing again

"I love cutting the grass this time of year. Its lush green color and rich scent spill into my psyche. The tidy definitive rows do something for my love of orderliness and sense of accomplishment. And when I mow I wish I could be a child in our yard. My mower turns a corner under trees that would make wonderful tea party places or passes over expanses of lawn begging for blankets spread out for doll playing. There's a few potential climbing trees and tall bushes for hide and seek. Mowing affords time for my mind to deliciously wander back to childhood and visions of delight in simple things. An hour later muscles may ache, but my mind is refreshed like I've been on a short holiday."

So went one of my first posts nine years ago this month. One-thousand, four-hundred and fifty-one posts later I'm still at blogging, and haven't yet run out of things to say. Close--yes, but not yet.

The lawn is lush and green in this first blush of spring. I still love mowing when it looks so beautiful after I finish. Later in the summer when it's so hot and dry, it's a different story and not so fun.

Now nine years after that post, mowing is a little different. I no longer have those childhood dreams as I mow around shady trees because, sadly, those big old trees in our front yard are now gone, replaced by new ones that are stretching up but yet to provide shade for those childhood dreams of play.

And after six months off from yard work, I mowed for the first time this week with my new knee. It was wonderful. A year ago the twists and turns around the yard were painful. Now the pain is gone. A little bit of newness all around this spring. And much gratitude.

17 comments:

  1. Hi Dotsie. We can't grow like that on top of our mountain. But this year I told Ken I want to work on that small patch of grass in the back of the house and see if I can get it to looking like a lawn! Wish me luck! But Ken will do the mowing--that's his domain. I rake leaves and pick up sticks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really is something to be grateful for and your lawn looks gorgeous. Things are sure growing fast here with the warmer temps. Enjoy your week! Hugs, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like the beginning of a good year for you Dotsie, especially where your knee is concerned. My, so many posts but then I looked back and saw you have been blogging for nine years. I'm glad I found your blog and enjoy all that you have to share, especially the grands which are a special generation for me too.
    That is a lush lawn and although we don't have grass any more, I still appreciate a well cared for expanse of green.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is the very best report! You can mow without pain.You may have surprised yourself; you definitely surprised me! Children always find their favorite spots in the yard. Your yard looks as if there are many favorite spots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you are mowing already! Your photo is gorgeous! Lush, green grass.

    Our snow that came of Friday was all gone by last evening! Everything is still brown here, but I know that it won't be long until it starts greening up.

    We planted our trees out front when we bought our house 13 years ago. Kids love to climb them and I love to sit in the shade of them!

    So happy to hear that your new knee is doing so well! Good news!

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great news, to hear that your new knee is happy and pain free!!! I also love it when the grass begins to grow and looks so lush and green. Before the extreme heat of the summer takes a toll.
    Happy Spring my friend!
    xo Kris

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't realize that you had been blogging for nine years! Happy blogiversary! :)
    You were so wise to plan your surgery to allow your recovery during the "inside" months. What a thrill it must be to know that you will be able to enjoy "outside" tasks and pleasures without pain this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW look at SPRING! She's not here yet so I was a bit blown away by yours. Glad that you are able to mow and enjoying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Podso,
    Gorgeous lawn, dear friend!!!
    Those are few and far between on the Western side of the Priaire!!!
    Who says you can't have a "Tea Party" on the lawn???
    The Grands would love it, I'm sure. . .and so would you!!!
    Photos please???
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soooo glad to hear your knee is feeling well! Dotsie, congratulations on nine years. Wow. That is an impressive number of post... I'm lagging way behind, just past 500. But, I'm heading there! Oh, I can almost SMELL that freshly mown lawn. Such a wonderful, wonderful scent! Happy, happy, happy about your knee. =) blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dotsie, I'm so happy for you to be able to do the tasks you enjoy. Your lawn is so lush and beautiful! Your trees are lovely--I can hardly wait to see the blooming trees of spring! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to LOVE mowing too, and I would do it here but living in a 55 plus community they do it for us. BUT, we get to plant flowers etc. and that fills my soul too. If it would just warm up some so I could get outside!!! This month has been below normal almost every day. UGH!!! Your yard is gorgeous!!! So glad your new knee is working out so well!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh I am so envious Dotsie! Envious of the pretty blossoms and green grass, and the fact that you can mow your grass already. It sounds wonderful. I'm also happy that you are physically able to mow this year. That is wonderful! I am thinking I might try using the push mower again this year as I haven't for the past 3 summers due to a bad shoulder and then a bad knee. We have a riding mower too but that is just sitting and I prefer to get some exercise with the walking and pushing. I will have to wait until May to find out though. :) Enjoy your new knee and exercise. I am surprised at the number of posts you have written and how many years you have been blogging. Amazing! I hope you have many more posts in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I got all buggy-eyed when you said NINE years. Wow. I can't believe it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it! That is amazing how long you have been blogging. Your yard looks so lovely and sweet, there is a sweetness to it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have such a beautiful yard! It must be wonderful to mow under those beautiful trees, especially with your new knee. Congratulations on 9 years of blogging!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...