Tuesday, June 24, 2014

the day the music played

Our nieces always favor us with their current piano recital pieces when they visit. They both are doing well; the oldest now ending her 5th year, and the younger more at the beginner level. As S. played, I found myself so familiar with the music, even though I may not have heard it for many, many years.

When she was finished I jumped up, "S, I think maybe I played that piece!"

I ran over to examine her music. The book looked familiar. I dug through the piano bench filled with sheet music and sure enough found my book. We compared. Exactly the same book, except, mine was yellow with age, and cost so, so much less. Like exactly a dollar and 25 cents for the whole book.
Sure enough, there were Miss Hamner's pencil markings. I can just hear
 her saying "One and two and three and four and …"

So  . . . I sat down and tried to play it. Not so great. 
The fingers don't work like they used to on the runs. 
But, I guess I love a challenge, and rose to it. Now I practice it each day.
My fingers are starting to behave, and it's coming back to me.


8 comments:

  1. Love this post! I also probably played this same piece back when I was taking lessons. I took for 7 years from grades 2 through 8 but don't play at all now. When our daughter took lessons I would play some of her pieces a bit but then stopped when she did. I let my dear hubby play for me now. He's very good at it. I hope you keep up with your practicing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh such fun...to discover a happy memory that ties to the present! I love that you've challenged yourself to polish the piece again! (Interesting note about the price, too.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wish I would have learned to play the piano. I can play something that might sound like a familiar song or two by ear withour proper technique...that is all :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it seems I'm a member of the club to have learned from that book, too! Only my teacher skipped that particular No. I learned Op. 36 Nos. 1, 2, and 6. Alas, the cover is missing so I don't know what my parents paid for it. I suspect it was less than what you paid unless you took lessons pretty young. My book would have been from around 1965. I never play any more, but like you, when I do sit down to play, the songs I learned when I was 15 usually come back to me after a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I could play piano. I took piano lessons many times for years but could never learn to read music, although I can read music to sing, but I can't sing! I admire people that can play piano.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good for you! My grandmother always warmed up with a song from her student days. She played it from memory. I wish I knew what it was...I can get the first few notes. There is no way that I could sit down and place this piece, though I am tempted to try. LOL I know that your nieces must get loads of encouragement from you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it does look familiar. My fingers however are not behaving as well as yours and the second hand piano I bought a few years ago sits alone in the family room. I've been thinking of selling it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A few years ago I bought a second hand piano as I had played in years past as well. Oh was it ever hard to get going again. I kept up with it daily for a year or so and then just stopped / I should probably start again ! :)

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...