Monday, June 09, 2014

the gift of giving



A firm knock sounded at the office door where I worked in a hospital baby nursery. A well-dressed, good looking young man of 10 stood at the door grasping a huge basket filled with gifts.

His mom and siblings stood at a distance as he announced to us that he had been born in this hospital that day, in the morning, 10 years before. He was on the way to his birthday party and would be getting presents, but first he wanted to give somebody else a gift. Could we find a baby boy who had been born between 8 am and noon and please give the basket to him?

We had just the right baby, one whose family could really be helped by such a gift––a basket filled with baby supplies, a soft blanket and a baby boy outfit. I wish I could have told the birthday boy of the delight on the faces of that baby's parents when I walked into their room with the overflowing basket, and the gratitude they expressed to an unknown friend.

If I could find him, I'd also thank his mom for teaching him the joy of giving. He's probably 20 by now, and my guess is he still has the gift of giving. "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old[er]  he will not depart from it." (Proverbs 22:6)

21 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story!

    Our Farmers' Market is two blocks from our home. I did drive since I had to tote so much home.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a heartwarming story! Just the kind that I love so well. A wonderful son and a wonderful mother. I also wonder if the little boy who received the gift hears the story and himself is a giver.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet,sweet story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely gesture - and what good parents his mum and dad must be. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't tell you what a wonderful story that was to read! What a perfectly delightful thing to do and what a blessing for both the giver and the receiver!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fine thing to do. His parents taught him well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love this sweet post, Dotsie! It made my eyes tear up. Such a precious baby picture. You have a real knack for telling a story, my friend. It is so important to teach our children to give to others; thank you for reminding us. I hope you have a great day! :)

    Hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  9. Podso,
    A lovely story to share!!!
    Filled me with inspirations, dear friend!!!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing this...

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful story, and a wonderful way to help teach your children the blessing of giving

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a touching story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a precious story! Indeed, the young man who was being taught to give (by example as well, no doubt) was given a great gift himself. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful story. And blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a really, really sweet thing to do. And yes, it takes a special mother to teach their children about kindness.

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  16. This story melted my heart and brought a smile to my face. Thank you so much for sharing it.

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great story and what a great tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That was a wonderful story, and yes, that mother taught her son well! Such a great idea. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is such a beautiful story! I hope that little boy learned a lifelong lesson in giving that day. So sweet!

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...