Monday, September 24, 2012

city in the rain

 It's been years since I've been in Chicago proper --- just a 
stone's throw from where I grew up. 
But I found myself there the end of last week and
remembered what a friendly city it is ... and so easy to get around.  
While our husbands were absorbed in meetings, a friend and 
I took the train in and looked around, drank a coffee,
and did the Art Museum (which I've never seen before with 
an artist ... wow did she teach me a lot!)
I seemed to have new eyes to see things,
and this is one of my new favorites.
 I popped out of the museum to walk a few blocks to eat lunch 
 with my sister who works in a very tall building. 

It was a cloudy day and turned into a rainy day. I didn't mind it a bit.
 In fact, I loved walking in the (chilly) rain! 
  The lights came on and the reflection on the pavement was beautiful.
 We crammed a lot into the weekend and I'm a tad tired 
 but am enjoying catching up on my blog reading!

13 comments:

  1. I too love the way rain on a sidewalk or road makes reflections that are art in themselves. The picture of the girl with flowers is so special...who painted her? do you remember?

    It sounds like the perfect day...relaxing and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back! Glad you had a nice time (beautiful pictures!). Hope the meetings went well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chicago...well that sounds pretty neat. I'm glad that you had some time away and had the opportunity to visit with a friend and your sister. Any time you want to pass along the things your friend taught you while visiting the art museum, feel free. Sounds fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like you had a fun time in Chicago. From what I've seen on blogs it is a beautiful city. Great photos! Enjoy the week. Blessings, Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you brought a jacket! It has been rather chilly but I love it! Re the apple custard, I actually halved the recipe and it was still a gracious plenty! I also used vanilla instead of a vanilla bean. Much "tweaking" comes from not having just the right ingredient in our kitchen.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photos, as usual. :) Our oldest spent a week there recently and went to the art gallery as well. Amazing that you/he could photograph in there. We're not allowed here to even bring out a camera, even on a phone.

    I love the painting too. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Podso,
    I, too...love the rain. NOT with lightening and thunder...just the slow steady rain...even a downpour. There's a rythym to it that is much like a symphony!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  8. I visited Chicago once, many years ago. Sounds like you had a good time with your friend and your sister. Visiting an art gallery with an artist would be very educational.

    We haven't had rain here for so long that I am quite looking forward to the first drops. Your rainy day photos are very evocative of fall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Dotsie
    The 2 statues in the first photo are magnificent and the city looks clean with wide sidewalks. Might have turned into a drizzly day but at least you made the most of it with.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous12:38 PM

    It looks like such a beautiful city and like you had a very lovely day! I have heard great things about Chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You should have popped in for a cup of tea!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your weekend away sounds like it was filled with all sorts of experiences. It must have been enjoyable to walk though the Art Gallery with your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful photos of Chicago (even though it rained). Glad you had a good time. It looks like a great place to visit.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...