Wednesday, December 14, 2011

A Second Look

 Exhibit A:
Every year we seem to have a dinner about the same weekend. Usually for our small 
group at church (which has changed over the years.) We're now in a small 
group of mostly young families and just love it. And this year, even though the table looked 
similar to last year, the people sitting around it were a lot younger. We had a great time.
 It's a challenge to fit 12 in our small dining room, and once seated you mostly have to stay seated.
 But it works. I call this picture "the march of the ... not sugar plums ... goblets?"
After many years of Christmas dinners with regular china, the Gardner gave me 
these dishes three years ago. We use them every day in December.
Exhibit B, or the second look: 
A few days later I had our communication team over for a tea/lunch.
A mere switch of a tablecloth and napkins made a difference! 
I enjoy using my grandmother's depression glass with the red transferware. 
As you can see I served our fruit in its skins. Fresh bread, chicken salad and assorted teas
were the on the menu. Chocolate/peanut butter ice cream pie left over from 
Saturday night was our dessert (thanks Staci)! (Why work if you don't have to!)
Since we were all communicators, each one got a mini journal. I like tucking one in 
my purse .. you never know when you may need to write something.
Joining Between Naps on the Porch for Tablescape Thursdays!

19 comments:

  1. Enjoyed our time! Glad you were able to put the pie to good use :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both tables look beautiful, Dot and both of the occasions sound like they were enjoyed by all. I love your new dishes...how sweet of your husband!

    I think the idea of giving journals was very thoughtful. I keep a little one with me, too.

    Happy Holidays!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both table are beautiful...I especially like the white tablecloth with candlelight, so warm and welcoming.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I LOVE your Christmas tree plates...what a lovely gift! I especially like them on the red tablecloth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your table! It has an old fashioned feel to it and those are beautiful dishes! It's interesting how the look changed on the 2nd table with just a different tablecloth!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your Johnson Bros. transferware, and I love that you use it everyday in December. That is what it was designed for - daily love and joy. Beautiful everyday and party table. Thanks for sharing. ~CJ

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you had been here, you could have heard my big intake of breath as I first saw that photo of the table and glowing lights and shining glasses and beautiful plates and perfect decorations... absolutely a delight to my soul! Dotsie, without a doubt, the people in your life are so blessed by your loving services! And, The Gardener did I fine thing in my books with those dishes! ;) Now, if I could just wrangle a seat at that table... lol... Glad I have one via blogland!! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. So warm and cozy! I love the Christmas china. Is it transferware?

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like it when people show how a table can be transformed from one function to another with just a few minor changes. It makes sense as a teaching tool to do so. Seeing this table in long form for 12 then in short form for a fraction of that number is great! I like your "march of the goblets" photo! Beautiful centerpiece, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful tablescape! And those dishes are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how pretty -- I got those same dishes last year with the green tree in the center. Don't you love them? Such pretty tables you've set.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Gardener is a very good man;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Podso,
    That Gardener is a keeper!!! Great taste! Both tables are lovely...but being the colorful person that I am...I adore the red table all decked out!Thank you for sharing these lovely inspirational tablescapes!
    Fondly,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  14. Seasons greetings to you. Richard

    ReplyDelete
  15. I enjoyed hearing abour your group celebrations! It is amazing how changing just a few items can cause big results. The red transferware is always beautiful and very versatile. Merry Christmas and Happy Tablescaping. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your dinner ware is beautiful, red transferware is my favorite! I want some one day.
    Your table looked beautiful for both dinner occasions.
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Podso
    The table looks nice both ways and I like the march of the goblets, very imaginative. :-)
    The plates are very festive and when you brought in more red for your luncheon, they look even better.
    I always carry a note pad of some sort with me to write down things I need to remember.
    Judith

    ReplyDelete
  18. My aren't you just the party animal! You sound as if you live life to the fullest. I love how much you entertain!

    Enjoy the season!
    Leann

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...