Monday, May 04, 2015

a new salad

I see the salad on its way to the table. 
My senses rise to respond to it's sheer beauty. My mouth waters. 
I can't wait to taste it and am not disappointed. A harmony of flavors. 
Rich in color, taste and nutrients. I ask our hostess how she made it 
and even email her later to be sure I have the details correct. 

Part of the beauty of the salad is that it is so adaptable. 
Put in it what you want. 
Really!
The lettuce is chopped with a knife.
I thought lettuce is to be torn, not cut with a knife.
But I'm suddenly hearing about chopped salads.
You know how once you are aware of something you notice it everywhere …

When I make it myself I go along with the chopped part.  
And since we are eating it soon after preparation, it is fine.

I chop the lettuce into small pieces and set it in a wide flat bowl.
Then I chop the veggies and fruit.
Strawberries, grapes sliced long-wise, sweet red and yellow bell peppers,
red onions, cherry tomatoes halved in the middle (all this for eye appeal),
squash, apples or pears, dried cranberries. 
That's what I put in but much more could be added. 

Right before serving I generously dress chopped fruit/veggies 
with a sweet creamy dressing I make (or buy).
On top of the bed of chopped lettuce it goes (all kinds of lettuces are welcome).

Bring to the table and watch eyes light up. 

18 comments:

  1. Looks delicious and healthy. I love salads and the way you described it makes my mouth water! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Colourful and nutritious - what is called a power salad I think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious, Dotsie!! Spring-and-summer salad season is upon us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds delicious, Dotsie, and it looks oh so pretty!! I am so happy that fresh strawberries are here. Every year as I get older, I think they're more of a treat than ever. :) Your salad looks like a great (and tasty) way to get a good serving of fruits and veggies for the day.

    Speaking of chopped lettuce, here in our area of N.C., we have a lot of small, family-owned Greek restaurants. For years, they've all served the best house salads with shredded lettuce and homemade dressings. A co-worker showed me one time how to cut the lettuce so it's shredded like they serve in those Greek restaurants. I also found it in my Southern Living cookbook. I, too, had always heard you should tear lettuce instead of cutting. :)

    Have a great week!

    Hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, what a great sounding and looking salad! I can't wait to try it, I know it'll be scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an awesome salad!

    We've been chopping lettuce for years! It goes much quicker! Do you think a homemade Ranch dressing would be good on this or should it be a vinaigrette?

    Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks and sounds heavenly. There was a time when I would have not liked fruit or nuts in my salad...now I love it!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. I chop lettuce too..and all the other bits that go in, asparagus stems, sugar peas, fruit, etc.
    I think that if you cut lettuce and then leave it for a while, the edges might go brown, so I chop at last minute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum. That salad looks delicious. Our daughter-in-law made a fruit salad for our son's birthday. It was chopped fine with a sweet dressing which I'll have to find out about, and scooped on cinnamon pita crisp triangles. I guess it could be called fruit salsa. Delicious! I have a plastic chopping knife for lettuce so the leaves don't brown.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh...this looks FABULOUS! The colors are just so pleasing to the eye. I think the thing about the lettuce being chopped is that is important to eat it right away so it doesn't turn. I do like the texture of a chopped salad and the ingredients sound really good! You can't go wrong adding all of that fruit with a creamy dressing. We have fresh strawberries over the weekend and had grilled chicken the day before...I added them both along with some seasoned pecans in my chopped lettuce...it was delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The color would be a definite plus for the salad. I'd have to leave out the bell pappers, but otherwise could add lots of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the salad inspiration. This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks and sounds wonderful. I love salads could eat everyday.
    Rosezeeta.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mouth is watering! And, it is as beautiful as I'll bet it tastes. That is quite a combination. I'm going to have to branch out! Thank you, Dotsie. blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fruit and vegetable mixed salads are my favorite! Also good with a thick rich balsamic...doesn't even need olive oil with it. Thanks for sharing a beautiful suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks soooo good! I love chopped salads...have always appreciated the small pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know I would love this, Dotsie. I love vegetables and fruit, and I love all the color! I like salads chopped. They're so much neater to eat. And I like your choice of plate.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This both looks and sounds delicious. I love a mix of crunchy things. I was taught to tear lettuce but I've always preferred it chopped. I think it's crisper that way.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...