Tuesday, January 02, 2018

investments

If I could, I would stay home a lot.
I told our mentor girls that to me a wonderful day is one when I don't have to go anywhere.
Say that again? They looked at me like a deer in headlights.
I don't know if you feel the same, but I love being home.
I love feeling cozy and being surrounded by things 
that mean a lot to me.  And I'm never bored.
Forget cleaning and laundry,  I find far more interesting things to do.
1. Clean photos off my computer and phone.
2. Make some more SF photo albums.
3. My parent's "archives" have much more yet to go through and deal with.
4. Kitchen cupboards need cleaning out.
5. Files to sort through, downsizing to begin...
6. Oh, and to read a book would be wonderful.
7.  Make some cards, crochet, color a page from my coloring books, play the piano ...

You probably have similar lists.

I've read recently that the older we grow, the more
we need to get out, become involved in new things, etc. 
We know that. It makes sense.
I don't know if you're like this (I'm sure some of you are),
but I find if I have to go out, projects just don't get done that day.
I need a whole day at home to really dig in.

So when a friend suggests meeting for morning coffee;
or a young woman wants to have breakfast together;
or college students need a place to stay for a night or two;
or a sick person needs a meal; or its time to plan
for our next mentor gathering ...

I've learned to stop and consider before a quick response, but then, yes, yes, 
it's almost always "yes." Because I'm not getting any younger, and I'll
probably never have as much wisdom as I do now.
Not that I "impart" so much, mind you, but I know time is never
wasted when you spend it on others, sharing your life with them, lending them a
listening ear. Yes investing time in them. Very young or even the growing old.
The projects and hobbies can wait. 
This is time well spent.



17 comments:

  1. Having just come home from spending the day with grandchildren HOME is especially inviting to me! But I will be ready to go in a few days, once I've recharged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year especially, I am happy to be at home more than ever. Love the last photo of the little sweetie at the door. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree with you more - and your list of things you enjoy doing matches mine almost perfectly!

    No wonder I like you so much. Hugs.

    (Not to mention it is 5 below zero and way too cold to want to go anywhere.) : - )

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very true. Happy New Year at home ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That last picture is priceless, by the way ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. As we grow older...we appreciate comfort! And spending time at home is comfortable. I'm going to step our of my comfort zone and call my friends more. I've already started...2 days in a row! heehee! Love that sweet photo too! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes. Yes. Yes. I'm with you all the way on this post, Dotsie. LOVE that crochet basket! Such happy colors! And, oh, my, how precious is that last photo?!?!?! You are an amazing woman, mentor, wife, mother, grandmother, friend, Dotsie. I know you bless all whose lives you touch... worth the extra effort. ;) blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a wonderful post, Dotsie. We can't ask God to use us and then ignore the opportunities he puts in our way. Daily I pray that I'll recognize those opportunities and take them. It's so easy for me to just get comfortable in my own little world. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a timely post, Dotsie. I crave days at home; there is so much I want to do here, but I know that I need to be a friend to others and take the time that's needed. You have an amazing gift for imparting wisdom. (And in this case, it was accomplished while staying at home!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am quite content to stay at home for days on end so I really do have to push myself out the door sometimes. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dotsie, I know exactly what you mean. I've been self-employed for a very long time, but no longer in the career that also took me out of my home office nearly every day, so I can happily hole up here for days! And, like you, I'm never bored.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel much the same way. It seems like if it is my intention to just go run out for a quick errand and I have something waiting on me when I get home, it just never gets done ...at least not that day. I do like being at home but we do need to make ourselves available to others as well. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, good thoughts here. That last photo really is a great last word picture for your post. This may sound weird but for me to get things done at home I have to put off my shower till the end of the long day. Once I take a shower I don't dig in as deep to whatever needs to get done. A very happy New year to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. On my goodness, your words resonate with me. There is nothing I like better than a day of puttering around my home. I think that I could stay in for days at a time and be perfectly content! I sometimes want to decline offers to go and do this or that. But, reaching out to others and sharing life with them is also important . . . and rewarding! Thank you for this encouraging post, Dotsie! Hearing His voice, following His nudges, may we make the right choices in using our time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful post and wonderful blog...Nice to meet you...Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. “Yes” is good and usually more fun. Why is “no” so easy to say? I love being home for about five days, then I need to get out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely post. I can putter endlessly at home, and have to push myself to get out. But it's (usually) always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...