Friday, January 12, 2018

gadgetry and more

Apparently I'm not over my thrill of beautiful dishes. At a home store on this soggy morning 
these two pasta bowls were marked down to 3 each. I am guessing 
one of my attractions was because we used my birthday restaurant 
card last night on an amazing Italian restaurant 
(so I was still remembering pasta). And the blue---love that shade of blue. 

Of course the photos don't do the color justice. 
I found a dollar bill and my friend treated me to coffee 
when I expected to treat her, so I told the Gardener that 
all totaled it only cost me 3 for two.
But I made $20 more today too, so my bowls are totally free. 

I am loving the free online grocery pickup at our big box store. Oh my. It saves me probably 90 minutes.
I love, love how it works. Except today. I ordered yesterday and the 
Gardener did the pickup and I forgot to tell him I ordered a big batch of paper towels. 

They had to switch out an item. Usually that's OK but this time the switch wasn't satisfactory. So I called their 800 number wondering how to do a return and they told me to keep it and sent a refund to my credit card, as well as sending me a $5 coupon for my next shopping. About five minutes later I realized they had totally forgotten the paper towels but had charged me for them. I called again, and this time as well as the refund, I got a $15 dollar coupon with great apologies. I won't give up on them anytime soon. I know they are still working the kinks out of this new system. 
So there was my $20 profit.

I love kitchen gadgets and  I love this mini colander I found at WM. 
It fits inside or outside most cans, to drain the liquid. 
This week I found another use for it!
My sister sent me a couple of these from her grocery store. 
You squeeze and use to close the bread bag. 
Much easier than twisting the twist tie. 
But they weren't easy to find.




16 comments:

  1. I haven't used the online grocery pick up yet, but my son uses it all the time and loves it! Your little colander looks very useful as is the bread closer. The tea towels look charming in the glass canister. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dotsie,

    Oh what pretty pasta bowls! I love the spirals in the center. :) I haven't seen those colanders yet, but how handy. I've typically found good kitchen utensils at Walmart, and at good prices. That's where I got my glass canister like yours. That's a darling tea towel from Portugal and such a sweet gift! I love blue and white too, Dotsie, as you probably know. ;)

    How do you like our changeable weather here in N.C.? I think it's supposed to turn very cold again overnight. Hope you're staying warm and enjoying these January days.

    Warm hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is fun to read how you justify the purchase of those beautiful pasta dishes as if they need any reason other than you really like them! 🙂 Yes, your friend knows you well. I like how you store the tea towels. I wish we had a grocery delivery service. My grandmother had one in her town and I always thought it was fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many pretty things and fun ideas here! Thanks for sharing. I'm intrigued by the small colander.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a homey post that we can all identify with - pretty dishes, useful items, and time with friends. Your tea towel storage is unique!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful (and free) bowls! I am sure that you'll enjoy them each time you use them, remembering the story. I like the idea of draining a can through the small colander, getting the job done with less clean-up. Free online grocery pick-up is my dream!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love those plates. They look like some overly expensive ones I paid for that were made Portugal. As much as I don't like mass produced 'anything', I was really sold on how beautiful they were! And I love a deal--you did good!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love those pasta bowls, too, Dotsie. Beautiful dishes are a weakness we share. LOL! I haven't tried the pick-up service. You ALMOST make me want to give it a go. But, not yet. LOL! That is such a beautiful towel... and so sweet of your friend to pass it on to you knowing your love of blue and white... and beautiful tea towels. :) Hope you have a wonderful weekend! blessings ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love pretty blues...especially when they lean toward slate blue. I saw a vehicle like ours except a newer model in a slate blue and was ready to trade! haha! It's nice to be able to order and pick up. Glad you got good service when there was a mistake. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love all your finds--especially the pottery and the gift of the blue and white tea towel. You have such a thoughtful friend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you have your towels displayed! I just may borrow that idea, if I can find a sweet spot for it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your new tea towel is so pretty!

    I shop probably daily on Amazon rather than running to Target for things, but I have never done the online order/pickup. I might have to look into that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Two things....totally identify with your dishes addiction and love the jar you have your tea towels and napkins in. All tidy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful pasta dishes! I have never seen tea towels stored in a glass canister that I can recall but I really like the look!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love, love, love the pasta bowls for both the color and also for the spiral design. Sure can’t beat the price!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely way to store towels. I will have to check out the grocery pick up. I so dislike going in the big box stores. I think it's the lights. Or the overwhelming amount of stuff. Those pasta bowls are a lovely color. xo Deborah

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...