Tuesday, January 30, 2018

here comes the judge

I was kind of dreading having to get up in the wee hours to allow time to drive into the city 
during rush hour, find the parking garage and then the jury holding room, etc. But I did. 
Went through all the legalities and the swearing in and then the sitting and waiting. 
At least we were in a new place since the last time I was called to jury duty. 
A lovely waiting area with big windows overlooking the city and all kinds of places to wait: 
with TV, without, with noise, without, with computers, without, and so on.
And then my name is called. A trial is about to begin. Thirty of us into a jury pool to 
be selected for this particular criminal trial. I find it strange to see the lawyers 
(and the defendant) fully turned around to really study who we all are as we file in and 
take a seat. The first 12 are called and the rest of us breathe a little easier. I'm sure we're 
all thinking of all we have to do this week and how we don't have time to sit for a trial. 
The selection process takes a long time. There was a young mother who is 
nursing her baby and needs to pump every two hours. This is apparently not an 
adequate excuse.  But then it comes out that she had a bad experience with lack 
of trust in someone's word and insists she trusts no one. 
That clinches it and she is dismissed. 
My name is called to sit in her chair, #5. The questions fired at me are at sometimes 
hard, and so detailed; awkward to answer in front of a room full of strangers. But, actually, 
it is very interesting to hear about everyones' lives. Details you would never learn at first 
meeting, or probably the second or third. I am amazed how many have been victims of 
crimes--at least three had their cars stolen. After they settled on me, several others 
are replaced, and their replacements also replaced. The pool narrows down 
to just a few as they finally called one for the alternate. That person also is switched 
out a couple of times as shadows lengthen and we near 5 pm. 

After a long day we are dismissed and told to come back at 9:15 
the next morning, ready to sit for the trial and do our civic duty.

15 comments:

  1. Serving on a jury is hard work and the cost of a democracy. I've been called several times. Once I even had a broken leg which was no excuse not to serve. Good luck. Your photos of the city are lovely. Such pretty sky photos with the skyscrapers. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it is a civic responsibility, but I would never put my fate into a jury of my “peers.” I would far rather have a wise, honest, disinterested judge. And it would make for a far more efficient judicial process. Just my two cents. That said, I admire those willing to serve and especially so if they have served more than once! Thank you for your service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dotsie,

    I was so glad to read your post because I get summoned for jury duty about every other year and sometimes two years in a row. That happened to me this year. Before Christmas, I had already received my summons and had to dread going downtown in January. I dread it for all the same reasons you listed -- early arrival, finding parking, etc. Last year I received a summons for the month of January, as well, and when I went online to check the evening before, no jurors were needed. Yippee!! This time however, I would have to report for duty. Then, it started snowing that evening, and we had the big snow and everything was cancelled. Yippee again. It can be a very interesting experience; I've served in one trial out of all the times I've been summoned. Good luck tomorrow!

    Hugs,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is an interesting and long process with delays, etc. Hope all goes well and ends well. I'm happy to do it when I don't have to drive all the way into Seattle but serve at a local courthouse instead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been called for jury duty. I hope it all goes well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am glad that you shared your experience with us. I think I would, too, find it somewhat interesting. I've never been called, due to my hearing impairment. I hear of the process here in Chicago and don't think I could do it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so uncomfortable with jury duty. It is sobering to think of judging someone's guilt or innocence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not been asked to do Jury duty here, though my husband was called some years ago. I've always thought it sounded an interesting experience, but a bit frightening too when it comes to judgement.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, my goodness. Last time I was called for jury duty... well, it's a long story... but, the bottom line is that I left with deep concern for the state of our country. Prayers for your strength and wisdom and discernment as you sit this jury, Dotsie. And, safe travels to and from. blessings and hugs ~ tanna

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know what it means to sit on a jury and there is little satisfaction in the results sometimes. Wishing you Well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, what a day! I do find courtroom situations most interesting. The closest I ever got was just showing up, put in a room with many others and then being dismissed. I almost wished I had been picked, just for having the experience of it. I have no doubt you will serve this case well. I hope it all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I get called for jury duty almost every year. I haven't served lately because of taking care of my husband who has epilepsy and seizures. I was on one trial and found it very interesting but nerve wracking. I just couldn't remember everything and was so afraid I would make the wrong decision with a person's life. I was so relieved when everyone on the jury came in with the same decision I had made. I hope you have an interesting and positive experience on the jury.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was called to report to Federal Court in Baltimore many years ago and lived more than 50 miles away so qualified for a hotel room. I was relieved I wouldn't have to drive in rush hour into Baltimore! As it was, the defendant made a plea bargain and no trial was necessary. I did serve locally for 3 days and was chosen, randomly, to be the head juror! I'm glad I was because it allowed me to take charge--or else the 2 people holding out for guilty might have gotten their way! The judge said we made the right decision to find her not guilty under the law she was charged with breaking. She would be tried in a civil court next--which was justified based on what we heard--not the criminal charge they'd brought against her for our trial. So I felt justice was done and felt privileged to serve. I love the sculptures at your court house!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sure sounds like it was a long process. My Colorado boy was called for jury duty last year but wound up not being picked.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy the conversations that come with comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...